Pumpkins, Pumpkins, and More Pumpkins…….

See, updated how-to’s with photos in Pumpkin Preparation.

Yes, it is October and pumpkins are prolific, if not from your garden, in the stores. They are not only economical but delicious!

Freezing pumpkin is so simple and a great way to save money while enjoying their great taste in the winter.

My newly found “favorite” way to freeze pumpkin, is to simply clean out the seeds and pulp, cut the pumpkin into slices, place in baking dish with water in the bottom to prevent sticking,¬†and bake at 350F for 1-1 1/2 hrs until tender (test with fork). Allow to cool, peel, place in freezer bags and freeze.

Don’t forget to toast the seeds: Place on cookie sheet and bake at 350F for 10-15 min. stirring frequently. Add butter, salt, and enjoy!

Related posts:

join the newsletter
Sign-up and get my 20 Must Have Superfoods eBook FREE!

Comments

1. jon says

Hello Dina-Marie
    It looks like some of your pumpkins are not yet ripe? or is it just the bad color of the pic? can you post a better one?

Also, my mother made stuff with our Halloween pumpkins too. But I think she salted the seeds before cooking them. That way, the salt stuck to them better. I just wish my wife would make them (and pumpkin soup) like my mother did.
    But I still love her!

2. Dina-Marie says

Hey jon,
    Thanks for the help.
    I'm just getting started and I know the pic is not the best :( I'll try to replace it with a better one soon.
    Some pumpkins are not the Walmart orange that we city folk all grew up with. Actually the green/brown variety are very tasty with a creamier texture and more meat per pumpkin.

Also, thanks for the tip about the salt. My husband thinks the same too and I've told him I would do a test with the next batch. But the butter really does the same thing – making the salt stick. And adding the salt after cooking reduces the corrosion potential of the cookie sheet.

3. Angela says

It looks like you had a lot of pumpkins. :) I'm almost inspired to grow some next year. Almost. They seem to be the favorite of our forest animals and they've always been stolen. lol

4. Ashley says

Hi Dina-Marie,

I am Lisa's friend in Lubbock and she has told me so many sweet things about you! It is nice to meet you, even through blogland. I am from Georgia so I guess we have "Southern Belle" in our blood:)

Thanks for the motivation and inpsiration on the pumpkins. I have several on my kitchen floor that I have procrastinated putting up for the freezer. Now I am inspired and will get to it! Well Body (health food store in Lubbock) makes the best Pumpkin Chocolate Chip muffins! I may add chocolate chips to your pumpkin bread recipe.

Blessings on your day!
    Ashley

5. Dina-Marie says

I appreciate all your comments and encouragment.

Ashley, it is nice to finally "meet" you even in a virtual sense! I too have heard great things about you! Chocolate chips in the recipe sound wonderful–let me know if you try them!

6. says

That is a lot of pumpkins… You have totally made me consider having a little vegetable patch in my garden…thanks so much for the inspiration!

Trackbacks