In the following, I have linked to products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend.
My mother’s Sweet Potato Souffle recipe, like her Broccoli Nut Casserole recipe, is definitely one of our family favorites! I love it because it is so easy and quick to prepare. The children love it because, well, it is just plain good!
Growing up, Sweet Potato Souffle was one of those meals that was a part of our Thanksgiving and Christmas traditions. In fact, I do not remember my mother making Sweet Potato Souffle any other time of the year!
Maybe it was reserved for the holidays because that is when sweet potatoes are in season. I am not sure. But, I, like my mother before me (sounds like a movie line from Sabrina when Linus recounts that he does what his father did before him!), reserve Sweet Potato Souffle for the holidays – mostly. Sometimes I give in and cook it as part of a special request by the children for a birthday dinner.
Since I have had such wonderful results on the GAPS diet in reversing my rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis and meat allergies, I am very conscious of the amount of sugar in recipes. In the Sweet Potato Souffle recipe, you may substitute honey for the raw sugar but be sure to decrease the amount of milk used. Or, you can let this wonderfully yummy recipe for sweet potatoes fall into 20% of the 80/20 rule!
One final note before moving on to the recipe, Sweet Potato Souffle can be doubled, tripled or quadrupled making it a great crowd pleaser! I normally double the topping – it makes the dish!
- 3 c. mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 c. raw sugar (you may substitute honey but decrease the amount of milk)
- ½ tsp salt (from my affiliate -where to buy REAL salt)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- ¼ c. butter
- ½ c. milk
- 1 c. brown sugar
- ⅓ c. whole wheat flour (from my affiliate -where to buy sprouted flour)
- 1 c. chopped nuts
- ¼ c. melted butter
- Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased baking dish.
- Mix the topping ingredients thoroughly and sprinkle over souffle. The mixture will be crumbly.
- Bake at 350F for 35 minutes.