What a month September was! Harvest on our earliest ripening grapes, Roussanne, began the first week of the month. We left town for the weekend of September 8th for our second oldest son’s wedding and returned to continue harvest the following week. We ended up with a bit over 48 tons of Roussanne! We had out-of-state guests visiting for the wedding and they stayed to experience grape harvest. Their help was invaluable as we harvested 37 tons of Montepulciano! The next and final harvest of the year consisted of 2 all-nighters, four 18 wheeler trucks and 72 tons of Aglianico grapes! What joy to have those grapes safely off the vines and at the wineries!
Elsewhere, a lot has also been going on and here are a few of my favorites:
- A great primer on virgin coconut oil.
- I have posted quite a bit about GAPS, but did you know that Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride uses the GAPS diet primarily in her practice with autistic children? Jill at Real Food Forager looks at whether autism is an autoimmune disorder.
- Benefits of bone broth.
- Which to choose – brown rice or white rice?
- Need a freezer but no space – Making room for a freezer in a small place may give you some helpful hints.
- A Ballad For A Small Town is a video created to both warn, and to inspire small town residents across America to assert their rights to protect their way of life.
- 10 reasons to use cloth diapers hits close to my heart since I used cloth diapers for all 10 of my children!
- Butchering a pig sounds like a lot of work but butchering our first steer was definitely worth the effort!
- How about these gluten free and grain free cheese crackers and gluten free muffins!
- I love it when I can make at home what I would normally purchase: all natural shampoo, milk of magnesia deodorant, homemade lotion and non toxic cleaner are definitely worth trying!
- Chocolate Macaroons sound delicious to me!
- With all the milk Buttercup and Emme are giving (5 gallons per day) homemade hot chocolate would be a great way to use some milk up!
- Oregano pesto makes my mouth water!
- With pumpkin season upon us, pumpkin pie smoothie and pumpkin 7 layer bars sound great!
- For all you GAPSters, GAPS banana cake is a keeper of a recipe!
- I posted how easy roasting butternut squash is and a way to use it is in the Best Butternut Squash Soup Recipe.
With fall upon us and the weather getting cooler, October promises to be an exciting month. Hopefully, with harvest behind us, we will finish building the filter house and the greenhouse, both from ICF (insulated concrete forms), as well as, start on some new projects!
Photo Credit © Depositphotos.com/trans961