Whole wheat pancakes tend to be heavy but the following recipe is not! Making your own, rather than using a store bought mix, is both economical and healthier. Whether you use fresh ground or store bought flour, this is a great recipe!
We buy enough whole wheat berries in bulk to last for one year and store them in 5-gal buckets with oxygen absorbers. As needed, we grind the wheat berries to make flour and use it fresh. This way we have the nutritional benefits of fresh ground flour and the economical savings of buying at a reduced price of bulk purchasing direct from the grower. For more information on preparing grains, see Grain Preparation.
We have whole wheat pancakes every morning during the week. No, we are not in a rut and we do have variety! Periodically, chopped nuts are included – on Fridays, we have raisins in our pancakes – on Sundays, we have eggs and biscuits!
If not using sprouted flour, soak the flour overnight in 1 1/2 c. kefir and 1 1/2 c. milk. This helps break down the phytic acid in whole wheat which inhibits absorption of calcium in your body. In the morning continue by adding the remaining ingredients, mix well and cook.
In the following recipe, I have linked to products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend.
Whole Wheat Pancakes or Waffles
- 2 eggs
- 3 c. sprouted whole wheat flour – heaping (where to buy sprouted flour)
- 2 oz olive oil
- 1 Tbsp baking powder (may substitute 1 1/2 tsp baking soda)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt (where to buy REAL salt)
- 1/4 – 1/8 tsp cinnamon (where to buy spices)
- 2 – 3 c. milk preferably raw
***Optional ingredients: chopped nuts, raisins, bananas
For whole wheat pancakes:
1. Preheat griddle.
2. Mix dry ingredients together.
3. Add eggs, oil and milk – stir until combined adding enough milk to make a thin batter. (If making waffles, add enough milk to make a thicker batter.)
4. Pour batter onto heated griddle and cook until browned turning once for a lighter pancake.
For whole wheat waffles: Pour 1/4 – 1/2 c. batter onto preheated waffle iron and cook until golden brown.
Serve hot and Enjoy!