Being on the GAPs diet, I have found that one of the more easily digestible meats is liver and especially liver pate. Liver pate works great as a dip for fresh veggies if you are on the GAPS diet and if not, it goes very well with the Homemade Wheat Thins.
- 1 lb beef liver cut into pieces (where to buy)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 c red wine
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp mustard (where to buy spices)
- 1 Tbsp rosemary
- 1 Tbsp thyme
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp butter at room temp
- salt and pepper to taste (where to buy REAL salt)
If you are looking for organic non-irradiated herbs & spices Click Here.
1. Soak liver (in the refrigerator) in buttermilk or kefir to reduce the bitter flavor. After 24 hrs, drain, rinse and pat dry.
2. Saute liver, onions and garlic in 4 Tbsp butter until the liver is browned and onions are translucent.
3. Add wine, mustard, herbs and lemon juice. Cook uncovered until most of the liquid is gone.
4. Cool and blend to a smooth paste in the food processor.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
*For a smoother and creamier consistency, add sour cream to the liver and blend.
Recipe adapted from Farmlet.Co.NZ