Fermented foods are a wonderful source of probiotics which help keep the beneficial bacteria in your gut healthy and active. The following recipe for fermented carrots is easy to prepare and after a week on your counter at room temperature is ready to be refrigerated and enjoyed.
12 medium carrots or enough to fill a 1/2 gallon mason jar
1 Tbsp sea salt (where to buy REAL salt)
2 tsp dill weed (where to buy spices)
4 cloves garlic (peeled)
water to fill jar within 1/2 inch of the top
1. Wash, peel and cut carrots into sticks – pack into a 1/2 gallon jars.
2. Mix the remaining ingredients and pour over the carrots.
3. Put the lid securely on the jar and leave on the counter at room temperature for 7 days. You will begin to see bubbles rising and know that they are fermenting!
4. Refrigerate after fermentation.
* You may increase the dill (weed or seed) and the garlic if you desire a stronger taste.
Recipe adapted from The Nourishing Gourmet