You have probably seen a title similar to “5 Essential Oils You Need” or “My 5 Favorite Essential Oils” and been curious – and, so was I, but never really seriously. In fact, I did not become seriously interested in essential oils until I had a need for them and then, well, the story changed!
My adventure with essential oils started while visiting my mom and sister in Georgia. We were out shopping and I started getting feelings of tension and stress. Now, if you know anything about power shopping, you know that that is not the time to feel like that! My sister gave me a bottle of peppermint oil and suggested that I dab a couple of drops to the back of my neck. Having nothing to lose, I did and you know what? It worked! And every time after that, it worked!
If you have been around awhile, you know that I am slow to jump on the bandwagon – for anything! Call it skepticism, just being careful or whatever but, I feel a huge responsibility to you my readers so, I never recommend anything unless I use it myself and with my family!
Essential oils are no different. I have kept quiet about them until I know they work and am confident in using them! But the time has come and I cannot keep them to myself any longer – they work!
Essential oils are volatile aromatic compounds extracted from plants with potent and powerful health benefits. They come from the leaves, fruit, seeds, roots, and bark. They can be used for a wide variety of purposes for your health, home, and homemade recipes.
3 ways to Experience Essential Oils.
1. Topically- applying them to your skin. Did you know that the skin is the largest organ of the body and what you put on your skin is absorbed into the bloodstream faster than the food you eat? That is why quality is SO important with the essential oils you use! Some less expensive oils are diluted with synthetic oils, contaminated from the distillation process, and even contaminated with chemicals (pesticides, herbicides…) from the growing process – know what you are buying!
2. Aromatically – inhaling and smelling the oils – the most popular method is to use a diffuser.
3. Internally – taking the essential oils internally mixed with a glass of water, food or in a gelatin capsule. Again, purity and quality are very important if the oils are to be approved for internal use! I’ll give you more info on quality later.
5 Essential Oils You Need!
Today I want to share with you my favorite 5 essential oils you need to have in your toolbox arsenal of natural solutions!
The peppermint plant is a hybrid of the watermint plant and the spearmint plant. It is one of my favorite essential oils and I keep it with me!
- Promotes healthy respiratory function and clear breathing
- Promotes digestive health
- Repels bugs naturally
- Blends well with Lavender for a soothing massage blend.
- Apply topically to relieve feelings of tension.
- Helps reduce bloating, gas, and occasional indigestion.
How to Use:
- Rub at the base of your neck to help relieve tension and stress.
- Add two to three drops to your favorite smoothie recipe for a refreshing twist.
- Rub on temples after you wake up for a morning energy boost.
- Diffuse when feeling fatigued or low on energy.
For hundreds of years, lavender has been valued for its aroma and relaxing benefits.
- Widely used for its calming and relaxing qualities.
- Soothes occasional skin irritations.
- Reduces appearance of skin imperfections.
- Helps to ease feelings of tension.
- Take internally to reduce anxious feelings.
- Take internally for a peaceful sleep.
- May help to support a healthy immune system when taken internally
How to Use:
- Add a few drops of Lavender to pillows, bedding, or bottoms of feet for a restful night’s sleep.
- Freshen your linen closet, mattress, car, or the air with a light mist of Lavender combined with water in a spray bottle.
- Add to bath water to soak away stress or apply to the temples and the back of the neck.
- Use in cooking to soften citrus flavors and add a flavorful twist to marinades, baked goods, and desserts.
Considered one of the most precious of all oils. It’s soothing and beautifying properties are used to rejuvenate skin and reduce the appearance of imperfections.
- Promotes feelings of relaxation and helps to balance the mood
- Reduces the appearance of skin imperfections
- Promotes healthy cellular function
How to Use:
- Add to moisturizer to reduce the appearance of blemishes and to rejuvenate the skin.
- Take one to two drops in a Veggie capsule to support healthy cellular function.
- Apply to the bottom of your feet to promote feelings of relaxation and to balance mood.
Also known as “Tea Tree”, Melaleuca essential oil has over 92 different compounds and limitless applications. It is a great first aid oil to keep on hand.
- Renowned for its cleansing and rejuvenating effect on the skin.
- Promotes healthy immune function.
- Protects against environmental and seasonal threats.
How to Use:
- For occasional skin irritations, apply one to two drops of Melaleuca essential oil onto affected area.
- Add one to two drops to water, citrus drinks, or veggie caps to support healthy immune system function.
- Combine one to two drops with your facial cleanser or moisturizer for added cleansing properties.
- Add a few drops to a spray bottle with water and use on surfaces to protect against environmental threats.
- Add to water and swish for an effective mouth rinse.
This is probably the top-selling essential oil because of its multiple benefits and uses. Being a powerful cleansing agent, lemon can be used as a non-toxic cleaner throughout the home.
- Cleanses and purifies the air and surfaces.
- Naturally cleanses the body and aids in digestion.
- Supports healthy respiratory function.
- Promotes a positive mood.
How to Use:
- Diffuse to promote an uplifting environment.
- Take internally 1 – 2 drops in a veggie capsule to assist with seasonal respiratory discomfort.
- Add Lemon oil to a spray bottle of water to clean tables, countertops, and other surfaces.
Quality of Essential Oils
Not all essential oils are created equal! Where a plant is grown has a major impact on it’s chemical makeup which then determines the potency of the plant and oil derived from it. Also, harvesting the right part of the plant at the right time is a major determiner in the quality of the essential oil obtained.
Be sure to research and know what the quality of oil is you are buying!