Did you know that you can cure breast infections naturally? Breastfeeding your baby is definitely the healthiest way to feed them. Breastfeeding is joyful but a breast infection can be very painful.
Having ten children and breastfeeding each of them for a year, I know the joy and convenience breastfeeding brings. Besides helping me lose my baby weight after each child it also saved a lot of money!
With my first several breast infections, I called the doctor and was prescribed antibiotics. While there is certainly a place for antibiotics, they do take a day or two to work, can be expensive and can have side effects.
Once we moved to Switzerland, I was told how to cure breast infections naturally and never needed another antibiotic for them! Relief happens with this natural solution within hours!
If you are reading this, I probably don’t have to convince you of the benefits of breastfeeding.
However, if you are having a breast infection and want to cure breast infections naturally, chances are you need some encouragement to continue nursing through it.
The benefits are definitely worth thinking about!
Breastfeeding benefits to the baby:
- Increases the baby’s immunity because of the antibody content – colds and viruses are reduced.
- Long-term immunity is increased against chronic health conditions like type 1 diabetes and digestive problems
- Lowers SIDs risk
- Decreases the risk of cancer
- Does not contain the unnecessary ingredients of formula
Breastfeeding benefits to the mother:
- Helps you lose the weight gained during pregnancy
- Increased calorie burn – breastfeeding can burn as much as 500 calories a day
- Oxytocin is released during breastfeeding and it helps your utereus contract. This decreases blood loss after delivery and helps your uterus return to normal size more quickly postpartum.
- Less expensive than formula
What is a Breast Infection?
A breast infection or mastitis is an inflammation of the breast tissue. The breast has glands that carry the milk from the breast tissue to the nipple.
When a gland becomes clogged, bacteria can build up causing an infection. The most common bacteria causing a breast infection is staphylococcus aureus and second is streptococcus agalactiae.
Signs and Symptoms of a Breast Infection:
- Red streaks on the breast
- Body aches
Causes of Breast Infections:
- Bacteria (often from the baby’s mouth) enters the mammary gland through a crack in the nipple.
- Engorgement and incomplete emptying of the milk
- Hormonal changes can cause the milk ducts to become clogged allowing a build up of bacteria
- Stress and lack of sleep can decrease immunity
How to Cure Breast Infections Naturally
To cure a breast infection naturally, drink 2 Tbsp. (I took more if I felt that I could) of apple cider vinegar in 8 oz of water every hour. You can warm the water and add honey for a more pleasant drink.
Drink as much as you can tolerate each hour until the symptoms subside.
Once I no longer had symptoms, I would taper off over three days. Drink it three times a day for a day and then two times a day for one day and the third day I would drink it once.
You can also use moist heat to help with the discomfort – warm rag, heating pad, hot shower. And breastfeed frequently.
When I first learned of this natural remedy, I did not know the benefits of raw apple cider. Raw apple cider contains the “mother” which has beneficial enzymes and probiotics. I just used store-bought, regular apple cider vinegar and it worked!
To cure breast infections naturally, you will experience faster relief if you begin treatment at the first signs of redness and tenderness. But, it works even after you have begun to run fever!
Throughout my child bearing years, I seemed to be prone to breast infections. So, I took this natural remedy frequently – at the first sign of redness and tenderness. In fact, it got to where I would shudder when opening the apple cider vinegar container 😉
To cure breast infections naturally truly is as easy as drinking apple cider vinegar! After finding this natural remedy, I never took antibiotics for a breast infection again – it really works!
- 2 Tbsp (or more if tolerated) apple cider vinegar (preferably raw but not necessary)
- 8 oz water, heated if desired
- honey to taste (optional)
- Mix the apple cider vinegar and water together.
- Add honey if desired.
- Drink every hour until the symptoms subside.
- After symptoms subside, taper off by drinking 3 times per day, 2 times per day and finally one time for the last three days.
Regular store-bought apple cider vinegar works too.