I can’t tell you how many times I have looked at sugar scrubs in a store and contemplated buying them for myself and as gifts. What stopped me? To be blunt – the price! But now, with my Homemade Peppermint Sugar Scrub Recipe and variations, the whole family is enjoying sugar scrubbing (not sure “sugar scrubbing” is a term but you get the picture)! In fact, I think this year, everyone on my shopping list may get a jar!
You probably know by now that I love homemade product replacements and as you look at this recipe, remember, the sky is the limit!
While the basic recipe calls for peppermint essential oils, any essential oil or combination of oils can be used to make your own unique blend.
Just remember, the quality of the essential oils you choose is VERY important.
The skin is the largest organ of the body and whatever you put on your skin can be absorbed into your bloodstream faster than the food you eat! So, be sure to use the purest, highest quality oils you can.
I like to use this Homemade Peppermint Sugar Scrub when washing my hands but for real energizing, try it on your feet and legs!
It drives the blues away leaving you invigorated and leaves your skin amazingly soft and moisturized. Talk about a win-win!
You can use several different oils as the base for you homemade sugar scrub and you might be wondering which is best. I think it is personal preference.
I have coconut and jojoba oil on hand so, those are the ones I use.
Coconut oil had a stronger smell than jojoba so you may need to adjust the amount of essential oil used to obtain the desired fragrance.
Jojoba is also a bit darker so your sugar scrub will have a slightly darker color.
Homemade Peppermint Sugar Scrub Recipe Variations
Any essential oil or oil blend can be used so let your imagination run wild!
And remember, at pennies per batch, you can afford to experiment and come up with your own special blend.
To get the creative juices flowing, here are some of my favorites:
- 20 drops Lemon essential oil – Energizing and cleansing
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil and 10 drops Wild Orange – Citrus Mint!
- 5 drops each – Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit and Wild Orange – Citrus Explosion!
- 20 drops Lavender – Relaxing
These make great gifts especially when you put them in a cute glass jar.
While these are wonderful for the hands, they are fabulous when used in the shower – just be careful because in the shower the glass can get slippery!
- 1 c. white sugar (brown sugar may be used but gives a darker color)
- ⅓ c. coconut oil (may also use olive, jojoba or almond)
- 22 drops Peppermint essential oil
- Put sugar in a small mixing bowl.
- Add coconut oil or oil of choice and stir with a spoon thoroughly.
- Add essential oil and stir. Adjust the amount for the desired scent.
- Spoon into a glass container with a tight fitting lid to maintain the fragrance.
This keeps for a couple of months but honestly, we don't have it around that long!