As you have probably guessed, I have been enjoying the holidays – I took last week off from blogging to spend time with my family! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday!
December is one of my favorite months of the year! Not only do we celebrate Christmas but we also have 2 sons born in December and one is on Christmas day. Plus, right around the corner is a new year – 2013! A new year always signals a new beginning, a time to start fresh and new. That is what New Year’s Resolutions are all about – a time to renew commitments whether it be to healthy eating, exercise, reading, you name it, it is a fresh start.
One of our family traditions is a trim the tree buffet dinner. Every year, before decorating the tree we gather to help ourselves around a table full of foods including meats and cheeses to make your own sandwich, Salmon Ball, shrimp, spiced tea and lots of goodies. Most dishes are reserved for this buffet dinner so everyone looks forward to it!
On Christmas morning we have a nice breakfast and then open presents. Our oldest son at home turned 20 on Christmas day this year so we have a wonderful celebration for him. He is the only child who gets a turkey dinner for his birthday dinner! I will be posting the highlights of our day this week on Family Fridays.
Here at the vineyard, we have started preparing for planting more vines in the spring of 2013. We are also still working on the barn and filter house. I guess the work is never done because we are always starting something new. But, then again, that keeps life exciting, doesn’t it?
I was privileged to do a guest post at the Healthy Home Economist with my Sprouts and Squash Recipe which is a great way to get little ones to eat Brussels sprouts! And also, at my new found friend Megan’s blog, Love Letters 7.10, where I had the opportunity to share a bit about how we came to West Texas to start a vineyard and my journey on the GAPS diet.
Elsewhere, here are a few of my favorite things:
- The DIY Organic Beauty Recipes from Mommypotamus is still 20% off! If you are ready to pamper yourself – this book is for you! It includes recipes for DIY, good-for-you beauty products like shampoo, conditioners, lotions, deodorant, lip balm, body butter, natural tooth powder and much more!
- Empowered Sustenance’s Indulge and Heal contains over 70 recipes with treats that contain NO grains, dairy, nuts or refined sugar to nourish and renew.
- Natural Cocktails E-Book from Our Nourishing Roots includes recipes for honey sweetened cocktails like Hard Lemonade and two Tea Bourbon Cocktails that are GAPS-friendly, as well as, other drink-making recipes that do not involve alcohol.
- Mama and Baby Love has a slow cooker freezer recipes cookbook available in either an e-book or in print.
- PV Nutritional Therapy addresses taking probiotics
- Take a break to remember more with this article about stress from Actual Organics
- Better drink choices for your waistline from Grass Fed Girl
- Is getting a flat stomach on you New Year’s resolution list? Thank Your Body has the answer!
- Enpowered Sustenance has a natural acne cure
- Small Footprint Family give 10 steps to strengthen your immune system
- Homemade Mommy tell you how to turn any recipe into a real food recipe
- The Elliott Homestead gives an alternative to antibiotics for ear infections
- Beauty in the painful moments is a love story from Honest to Goodness Living
- 10 uses for beeswax by Learning and Yearning
- Get inspired to make fermented foods with Real Food Suomi
- Granny’s Vital Vittles finds vintage Pyrex dishes practical
- Homemade Dutch Apple Pie finds purpose in being a stay-at-home mom
- Natural Cough Remedy from Oh Lardy
- GAPS Chocolate Chip Cookies from Real Food Forager
- Lentil Stew from Nourished Kitchen
- Healthy Hot Chocolate from Weed’em and Weep
- Wondering how to eat coconut oil? Whole Natural Life gives Coconut Berry Delights
- How to Make Coconut Butter from The Coconut Mama
- Salted Caramels fro Holistic Squid
- Health Extremist gives an avocado salad recipe
- Our Nourishing Roots has GAPS chocolate chips that are sweetened with honey
- Chicken Curry from And Here We Are
- Cinnamon Almond Butter Cookies from A Harmony Healing
- Real Food Peppermint Patties from the Polivka Family
- Nourishing Joy shows how to make almond paste