Learn how to make Moon Sand with this easy, 2 ingredient (+ color which is optional) Moon Sand recipe. You will be surprised at how much fun it is – it is squishy and can be mashed together to form a ball or molded into cute shapes – it’s loads of fun. And, I’m not just talking about fun for kids either!
What is Moon Sand?
Think “wet beach sand”. It is like wet sand in that you can mold and shape it but, is also like dry sand because it is crumbly. It is not gritty like sand but can be a bit messy.
Be sure to put down paper for the children to play on and contain the mess 😉
Tips on How to Make Moon Sand
- When mixing the ingredients, add the food coloring to the oil. It doesn’t mix completely but it seems to disperse more evenly into the flour.
- I use India Tree colorants because they are all natural but any food coloring will work.
- Cornstarch or Arrowroot can be substituted for the flour.
- How to make moon sand completely edible: Use coconut oil or olive oil
- How to make moon sand on the cheap: Use really cheap baby oil
- Store moon sand in airtight containers – I prefer glass jars with attached lids but these plastic deli containers also work well.
Moon Sand Recipe
- 8 cups flour
- 1 cup oil (baby oil, coconut oil, olive)
- Food coloring (optional)
Place flour in a large mixing bowl.
If using coloring, add it to the oil and mix with a fork. It will not mix completely.
Pour oil (and coloring) over flour and mix all ingredients together.
Mix well with your hands – this is the children’s favorite part!
Store in an airtight container. If it begins to get dry, add a small amount of oil and mix until the desired consistency.
Looking for more children’s activities? Check out homemade play dough and homemade slime.
Which is your (or your children’s) favorite?
If you’ve tried this MOON SAND RECIPE or any other recipe on Cultured Palate please take a minute to rate it and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, YouTube and TWITTER.
Get ready for hours of fun with this fun recipe!
- 8 cups flour
- 1 cup oil baby oil, coconut oil, or olive
- Food coloring optional
- Place flour in a large mixing bowl.
- If using coloring, add it to the oil and mix with a fork. It will not mix completely.
- Pour oil (and coloring) over flour and mix all ingredients together.
- Mix well with your hands - this is the children's favorite part!
- Store in an airtight container.
If the moon sand begins to get dry, add a small amount of oil and mix until the desired consistency.