I have been adding coconut oil before each meal – I try to remember before each meal but often forget except at breakfast!
I started taking coconut oil to increase my metabolism and help balance hormones. While it is not too bad when mixed with warm water, I have found a much better way to get my coconut oil!
A friend gave me a wonderful homemade gift – chocolate candy made with coconut oil. She had used a candy mold and they were so cute. Not only did they look good, they were delicious! And, the surprise was, there was a hint of spiciness to it! And, no, I did not share them with the children! 😉
Savoring them, I left them on the counter in the jar wrapped with a ribbon, just as they were given to me – it just made me feel special to look at them. What I forgot though, was that coconut oil turns to liquid at around 75F. Guess what? The next day, I went to get a treat and they were all melted! Yes, it was a let down but it was short lived – it still tasted great. Only, now I ate it with a spoon! I guess I should have shared! 😉
I confess, I am a wimp when it comes to hot spicy foods. It is a shame really, because my husband loves hot foods, in fact, the hotter the better for him. But these chocolates had just a hint of spice, not too much, just a slight zing.
Did I mention Coconut Oil Chocolate Treats are Healthy?
Coconut oil is a very healthy oil! Regular intake of coconut oil:
- improves the body’s immune system and helps fight off viruses and bacteria
- helps stabilize blood sugar
- helps stabilize hormone levels
- helps boost thyroid levels to increase metabolism, energy and stamina
- improves digestion and helps absorb fat soluble vitamins
- decreases cholesterol levels. Coconut oil has a saturated fat called lauric acid which has been shown to increases the good HDL cholesterol in the blood to help improve cholesterol ratio levels.
Coconut Oil Chocolate Treats - Regular and Spicy
- 2 cups coconut oil, at room temperature (where to buy coconut oil)
- 4 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 3 pinches cayenne pepper - optional, use if spicy treats are desired
I buy all my real salt and spices from my affiliate partner, Starwest Botanicals, because of their superior quality. Their herbs & spices are organic, non-irradiated plus, I think they are more aromatic and full flavored than any others.
- Mix the coconut oil, honey and vanilla together.
- Blend in the remaining ingredients - sea salt. cinnamon, cocoa powder and cayenne if making the spicy option.
- Blend until light and fluffy.
- Pour into candy mold or parchment lined baking dish.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Store in the refrigerator to prevent melting.