Spinach lasagna – who doesn’t like it?
Maybe I should say, Lasagna – who doesn’t like it?
Even children who don’t care for spinach like this lasagna recipe! But, with Popeye as a hero, what child doesn’t like spinach?
As the mother of a large family, I am always looking for ways to stretch meals. Yep, it was my frugality that was the inspiration behind my spinach lasagna recipe! That, and the fact that I could not eat meat for 30+ years because of meat allergies. Thankfully, my allergy to meat and other physical problems have resolved thanks to the GAPS diet! But, even though I can now eat meat, my spinach lasagna recipe is still a mainstay of meal planning.
Please keep in mind, with a large family I multiply recipes for large crowds! The basic ingredient quantities are given along with variations that I have used successfully and it is easily multiplied.
One final note before the recipe: I do not cook my lasagna noodles ahead of time – I layer them uncooked in the lasagna. This saves time, another messy pot to wash and the quality of the final dish is not affected!
In the following recipe, I have linked to products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend.
Spinach Lasagna W/ Meat Option!
Yield 13 x 9 inch pan
- 2 lbs Ricotta Cheese ( may substitute cottage cheese, I now use our homemade ricotta)
- 2 - 10 oz pkgs frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tsp garlic powder (where to buy spices)
- 1 tsp salt (where to buy REAL salt)
Combine all ingredients in bowl and set aside.
- I use frozen tomato sauce from last years garden and add Italian spices. When I do not have frozen tomato sauce, I used canned and add my own Italian spices to taste - basil, garlic and oregano.
For a meat option:
- Brown 1 lb ground beef or turkey meat and add to the tomato sauce.
In a greased 13 x 9 pan, starting with a bit of tomato sauce in the bottom to prevent sticking, layer:
I do not cook my lasagna noodles before assembling - not only am I saved time but also another messy pot to wash AND the quality of the dish is not affected!