But, not anymore! This Chicken Enchilada recipe is soooo easy, I wonder why I never made them before! Plus, it uses chicken broth instead of a canned creamed soup for added nutrition!
This week, we are beginning to prune the vines and I have been going through recipes for ones I can make the night before and reheat – this Chicken Enchiladas recipe fits the bill! Since we start work early in the morning, it is nice to have meals that I can quickly pop in the oven to reheat and go back to work until it is ready.
One of my New Year’s goals was to become more consistent with exercise. I mean exercise besides working in the vineyard! And, I was doing very well, until I broke my arm – my right arm! It is actually a re-break and was the result of a slip and fall. While I am not in a cast, I do have a splint that prevents me from using it. Having osteoporosis, I need weight bearing exercises to build bone density. But since I am unable to lift any weights with my right arm and, heaven forbid I lift with my left arm and become lopsided – I have started running.
It sounds glamorous to say that I am a runner doesn’t it? And, if I didn’t have to breathe, I could run a lot farther! But, I am doing a walk/run program and building the running to longer distances. That is all well and good but, what does that have to do with a Chicken Enchiladas recipe…
The extra physical stress of running has made me very conscious of the amount of protein we are eating – that, plus a broken arm! And, while a cup of bone broth has become once again a daily part of our diet, I am especially excited about recipes in which I can incorporate it – I need those minerals!
I normally cook a whole chicken covered with water in the crock pot for 4 hours on high, allow it to cool and separate the meat from the bones. Use the water the chicken cooked in for broth. Don’t forget to use the bones for bone broth! If you are on a gluten-free diet, you can still enjoy the great taste of Chicken Enchiladas – just substitute corn tortillas for the flour tortillas and white rice flour for the flour.
- 4 c. shredded chicken, cooked
- 2 c. sour cream or yogurt
- 2 c. chicken broth (make your own!)
- 1 c. milk (or coconut milk)
- 4 Tbsp flour (or white rice flour)
- 1½ c. Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1½ c. Colby cheese, shredded
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (4oz) can chopped green chilies
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 tortilla wraps (10 inch)
- 1 cup Colby cheese, shredded for topping
I buy all my herbs, spices and real salt from my affiliate, Starwest Botanicals. To me, they are more flavorful and aromatic plus they are organic and non-irradiated!
- In a small saucepan, mix chicken broth and milk or coconut milk over medium heat. Once heated thoroughly, whisk in the flour and allow to thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Reserve about a cup for the topping.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the broth mixture, chicken, sour cream (or yogurt), 1½ c. each Monterrey Jack and Colby cheeses, green chilies and onion.
- Mix well.
- Place ½ cup of the mixture on each tortilla; roll up and place seam side down in a 3 quart oblong baking dish.
- Spread the reserved broth mixture over the top thinly.
- Bake at 350 F for 20 - 25 min.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with 1 cup Colby cheese and continue baking 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Serve and enjoy!