How many commercials have you seen lauding the praise of milk? Who doesn't recognize a celebrity's photo in an ad with a white mustache asking "Got Milk?" Unfortunately, none of this advertising is promoting raw milk, which actually has incredible health benefits!
IF these advertisements are referring to store-bought pasteurized milk, this advice is bunk. In fact, drinking pasteurized milk out of moderation can even be dangerous to your health!
What is the truth about milk - the RAW FAQS? Read on to hear more about the true facts of milk. It might not be what you're expecting! Goodness knows that we're not always fed the truth about this essential food.
1. The majority of milk consumed today is pasteurized.
But what does it mean for milk to be pasteurized?
Pasteurization is the process in which milk (or any food/liquid) is heated to a specific temperature (161F) for a specific length of time (15-20 seconds) and then immediately cooled.
- In the pasteurization process, the milk is heated destroying enzymes necessary for the body to assimilate the calcium found in milk. This destruction of enzymes also prevents the body from being able to absorb other essential nutrients!
- Heating milk in the pasteurization process also alters the structure of amino acids (proteins) present in milk making them also unabsorbable.
RAW MILK/RAW TRUTH:
Pasteurization is touted as a method of protecting us from infection. But the CDC notes that not a single person has died from drinking raw milk in over a decade.
- In 2006 alone, there were at least 1,300 people who got sick from pasteurized milk - just in California!
- The nation's largest recorded outbreak of Salmonella was due to PASTEURIZED milk contaminated with antibiotic-resistant Salmonella typhimurium. Occurring between June 1984 and April 1985, this outbreak caused over 200,000 to be sick and 18 deaths.
So that's one myth busted: That raw milk is universally dangerous for everyone, and you shouldn't ever touch it.
2. Most American dairies use Holstein cows who never graze on fresh grass.
The milk produced by these cows is about three times as much per day as a traditional family milk cow - thanks to growth hormones and high protein grains.
Thankfully, the movement toward more grass-fed dairy and free-range eggs liberated many of these animals. But the transformation of the industry is far from complete.
An interesting note - modern Holstein cows have high levels of growth hormone (naturally occurring from the pituitary gland) even when NOT being given Bovine Growth Hormone! It's all in the natural selection. We're encouraging the growth and additional lifespan of cows who grow up bigger and stronger than ever. But this is a bad thing—any animal that changes in a rapid period of time may react adversely. It makes you think about what is unnaturally forcing them to increase in size. That's what all of this is: unnatural.
RAW MILK/RAW TRUTH:
The most nutrient dense milk is obtained from cows feeding on green grass and especially the fast-growing grasses of the spring and fall. Milk from cows eating green grass, hay, root vegetables, plant foliage and traditional foods is the highest in vital nutrients, such as vitamins A, D, and K2.
3. We were duped into thinking low-fat and skim milk are good for us!
Perhaps, this was actually a marketing ploy of the modern dairy industry to sell poor quality, low-fat milk from high producing breeds! It's worth thinking about. Because we live in an age where everything has to be uniform and the same every time, we actually may be shorting ourselves on nutrition.
RAW MILK/RAW TRUTH:
- Butterfat contains vitamins A and D, essential for the assimilation of calcium and protein found in milk
- Butterfat is also rich in fatty acids which protect against disease and stimulate the immune system.
- Raw whole milk also contains conjugated linoleic acid which contains strong anticancer properties.
4. Other interesting RAW MILK/RAW TRUTH FAQS:
- Lactose intolerance may be a result of pasteurization! 80% of participants in a Michigan raw milk study considered themselves lactose intolerant according to a healthcare professional. Yet, they were able to consume raw milk without a problem.
- Raw milk has naturally antibacterial characteristics in the form of lactic-acid producing bacteria. These protect raw milk from pathogens.
- "The Milk Cure" written by Dr. J.R. Crewe of the Mayo Foundation (forerunner to the Mayo Clinic) and published in the Certified Milk Magazine in 1929, is a detailed a regimen of drinking 4-5 quarts of raw milk per day. This regimen obtained positive results for a wide variety of illnesses including cancer, kidney disease, skin problems like psoriasis, urinary tract problems, prostate problems, allergies and chronic fatigue. Pasteurized milk did NOT yield these results! This publication was the result of over 16 years of using raw milk from Guernsey cows almost exclusively in the treatment of various diseases.
- Calves fed pasteurized milk do poorly and many die before maturity. If it's not good for the cows themselves, how can it be good for us? Calves are the original audience for the milk. They should be the test for if it's good, in my opinion.
- Raw milk is legal in most of Europe. You can find it in vending machines in several European countries.
At the present time, retail raw milk sales are legal in 10 states.