Looking for a fun activity to keep little ones entertained? This Homemade Slime Recipe Without Borax is your answer. I promise – it will be a huge hit, and NOT just with the kids!
There is just something super fun about slippery slimy slime. Try saying that 3 times!
Maybe you just have to try it, to understand but, trust me, there is! Soothing, relaxing, fun….are just a few adjectives to describe it.
Plus, slime can be made in any color and as you can see from the photos, can even be variegated. Think of the possibilities! Just like with homemade playdough – the possibilities are endless!
Supplies for Making This Homemade Slime Recipe
- Glue – I use Elmer’s Liquid School Glue and buy it by the gallon.
- Contact Solution – This brand works well but, any brand will work – I just try to find the least expensive.
- Soap Coloring – Food coloring works well but this soap coloring doesn’t stain your hands like the food coloring.
- Airtight Containers – These containers are inexpensive and great to store your crafts like slime and homemade playdough.
Tips for Making Homemade Slime Recipe
- Food coloring works well but this Soap Coloring doesn’t stain your hands like food coloring.
- Use clear glue for a deep red slime.
- To make different colors, divide the slime into equal parts and color as desired.
- For variegated or swirled slime, lay the colors next to each other and let them meld together.
Homemade Slime Recipe Without Borax – Step by Step
- Pour white glue into a bowl. Photo 1
- Add water. Photo 2
- Stir in baking soda. Photo 3
- Add contact solution – it will instantly begin to foam. Photo 4
- It will be STICKY! Don’t panic! Mix the solution in the bowl until it starts to form. Photo 5
- Knead the slime until it is no longer sticky. Photo 6
- Add coloring and knead to distribute. Photo 7 – 9 See “Tips” above for instructions to make the swirl.
Homemade Slime Recipe Without Borax
- 1 airtight container
- 1 – 5 oz white glue
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp contact solution
- Coloring – I used red, pink and orange
- Small bowl
- In a bowl, pour 5 oz white glue into a bowl.
- Pour in ½ cup of water.
- Add in ½ tsp baking soda and stir.
- Add 1 Tbsp contact solution. It will instantly begin to foam.
- It will be STICKY! Don’t panic! Mix the solution in the bowl until it starts to form.
- Knead the slime until it is no longer sticky.
- Add in your coloring. You can use food coloring but these Soap Coloring have great colors and don’t stain your hands like the food dye! I divided our slime into 3 sections and colored each one differently. (Note: if you want a deep red color try using a clear glue instead of a white glue!)
- To get the swirls, lay the colors next to each other and let them meld together.
- Store in an airtight container.