Six ingredients and a little bit of time make for one delicious meal! Beef and Rice Casserole is for the “queens of ease”.
You know who I am talking about – queens who want an easy meal but who don’t want to sacrifice quality or taste.
That is me! And, I don’t think it is just me.
The following recipe can be prepared with plain ‘ol ground beef and white rice. If you want to raise the nutritional value, try grass fed beef and brown rice.
We have plenty of home grown, grass fed ground beef from butchering our own steers. After our milk cow calves and the calf is a bull, we make him a steer and raise him for meat. Boy, is it good!
One of the health benefits of grass fed beef is the omega fats are much much higher. Another benefit is the cows (steers) are not fed grains or cattle feed containing hormones and antibiotics.
When you raise your own, there is just something about knowing you are living off the land – so to speak! I don’t mean that to sound prideful it is just rewarding and satisfying.
The Beef and Rice Casserole can be cooked in a deep dish casserole or a cast iron skillet!
Here is my favorite cast iron skillet that I use every day! It is large enough for our family and will hold twice the recipe amount!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 c. uncooked rice (not quick cooking)
- 1 c. dice tomato with juice
- grated cheese for topping (optional)
I buy my real salt, herbs and spices from my affiliate, Starwest Botanicals - many of their herbs & spices are organic, and I think they are more aromatic and full flavored than any others.
- Place uncooked rice in the bottom of a deep dish casserole.
- Brown beef with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a little butter, saute the onion, celery and green pepper.
- Place the onion, celery and pepper on the rice.
- Add the browned beef.
- Cover with tomatoes and tomato juice.
- Cook at 350 F until the rice is done - about 45 minutes. Add grated cheese on top( if using) after 25 minutes for the last 20 minutes of cooking.