Six ingredients and a little bit of time make for one delicious meal! This Beef and Rice Casserole recipe is made for the "queens of ease." That would be me - easy is aaalllwaaays in style!
Maybe you are one too? You know who I'm talking about - kitchen queens who want an easy meal but who don't want to sacrifice quality or taste.
That is definitely me! And, I don't think it is just me. Because I'm looking on Pinterest and I see lots of recipes built to be easy and nutritious. You're fabulous!
The following recipe can be prepared with plain 'ol ground beef and white rice. If you want to raise the nutritional value, try grass-fed beef and brown rice.
We have plenty of homegrown, grass-fed ground beef around because we butcher our own steers. It's a lot of work, but it is absolutely worth it to us for the nutritional benefits.
One of the health benefits of grass-fed beef is that the omega fats are much much higher than typical store-bought meat. Another benefit is the cows (steers) are not fed grains or cattle feed containing hormones and antibiotics.
If you have access to grass-fed beef where you live, I highly recommend making the purchase.
How to Make Beef and Rice Casserole Recipe Step by Step
- In a little butter, saute the onion, celery and green pepper. Photo 1
- Brown beef and season with salt and pepper to taste. Photo 2
- Place uncooked rice in the bottom of a deep dish casserole that has been prepared with a nonstick spray. Photo 3
- Place the onion, celery and pepper on the rice. Photo 4
- Add the browned beef and layer on top. Photo 5
- Cover with tomatoes and tomato juice. Photo 6
As you can see, it is just a matter of preparing all ingredients, layering and baking - easy peasy!
Tips for Making the Beef and Rice Casserole Recipe!
- This recipe works well in a 2 quart, deep dish casserole. However, when using a shallow baking dish, add ½ cup tomato juice extra.
- The amount of liquid is sufficient to cook the rice when the dish is covered with foil.
- If using brown rice. add an extra ½ cup of tomato juice (or water) and keep a close eye on it.
- For a more budget friendly meal - double all ingredients except the ground beef.
If you’ve tried this Beef and Rice Casserole Recipe or any other recipe on Cultured Palate, please take a minute to rate it and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, YouTube and TWITTER
Beef and Rice Casserole
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 cups uncooked rice not quick cooking
- 1 cups diced tomato with juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated, optional
In a little butter, saute the onion, celery and green pepper.
Brown beef and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place uncooked rice in the bottom of a deep dish casserole that has been prepared with a nonstick spray.
Place the onion, celery and pepper on the rice.
Add the browned beef and layer on top.
Cover with tomatoes and tomato juice.
Cover baking dish with foil and cook at 350 F until the rice is done - about 45 minutes. Add grated cheese on top (if using) after 35 minutes and return to oven for 10 minutes or until rice is tender.
If using a shallow baking dish, add ½ c tomato juice extra (water may also be used).
Test the rice using a spoon - slide it down the edge of the dish to check if the rice is tender.