As I posted earlier in Roasting Butternut Squash, if there is one vegetable our garden produces a ton of, it is butternut squash! With its sweet nutty flavor, everyone loves it – it is definitely a family favorite. I am glad too, since butternut is a great source of vitamins A, C and E, magnesium and potassium.
I first started making Butternut Squash pancakes on the third stage of the GAPS Introduction. After the first two stages of the introduction diet, everyone was hungry for anything resembling a “real” pancake and these were definitely a hit! While the rest of the family has transitioned to a traditional diet, I remain on the full GAPS diet. These pancakes have remained on the menu and we all still enjoy them.
I roast my butternut squash for the pancake recipe (and most others too!) which intensifies the flavor. Roasting is the easiest method of preparation and you don’t kill your hands using the potato peeler!
Oh, and don’t just think “pancakes” = “breakfast” – these are great served as a side dish to accompany other dishes or even alone!
In the following recipe, I have linked to products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend.
- 2 c. butternut squash, cooked and mashed
- 1 c. nut butter or nut flour - I use almond flour which you can find HERE.
- 4 eggs
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda (optional)
- tallow or lard (from grass fed animal fat) or coconut oil. If you do not render your own tallow or lard, you can purchase it HERE.
I buy all my real salt and spices from my affiliate partner, Mountain Rose Herbs, because of their superior quality. Their herbs & spices are organic, non-irradiated plus, I think they are more aromatic and full flavored than any others.
- Cook butternut squash and mash. Cut the squash into cubes and boil until tender or Roast Butternut Squash
- Mix all ingredients together with a hand mixer.
- Place a small amount of tallow, lard or coconut oil into a preheated skillet and melt.
- Pour ¼ c. of batter into the skillet and cook over medium heat until browned.
- Flip the pancake once and cook the other side until brown.
- Serve warm and Enjoy!