Have you ever heard of Master Tonic? I had not either until a friend share it with me. Master Tonic is a natural way to build and support your immune system. It is easy to make (watch the video to see just how easy) and easy on your budget. I have added it to my daily routine and I hope you will too!
Thera, and her two young children had come to glean grapes after grape harvest was over. Before going out to pick grapes we sat, enjoyed a cup of coffee and talked about life in general.
As our conversation moved from one topic to another, we began talking about ways to build our family’s immune systems and natural remedies.
Finally, Thera began to tell me of a home remedy her grandmother kept on hand. It sounded easy enough so I wrote down the recipe.
Since it is cold and flu season and we all want to do what we can to protect ourselves and our families – I wanted to share this immune buiding recipe with you.
Thera’s grandmother kept the Master Tonic on hand and when her grandchildren visited with a cough or complained of a sore throat, she gave them a couple of tablespoons.
Watch the Master Tonic video to see just how easy it is to make!
You may be skeptical but I have found old fashioned remedies to be very effective in healing common illnesses – see How to Get Rid of Gallstones, A Natural Remedy for Pink Eye, Get Rid of Bladder Infections Naturally, Passing Kidney Stones Naturally, and How to Get Rid of Eczema Naturally.
I love budget friendly do-it-yourself remedies and so, for under fifteen dollars, I made a gallon and a quart of Master Tonic. When stored in a dark colored bottle, it will keep indefinitely – I thought it was easier to make a large batch at once! ;)
Before giving the benefits of each of the Master Tonic ingredients and the recipe, I thought it would be good to think about a few very simple things that we can (especially with children) that can also help protect ourselves from infections.
- Avoid Contact – First of all, especially during times that infection breakouts (like flu season) when possible, it is best to stay home. Is that possible for most of us? Normally not, but when it is, take advantage of a little solitude. Shopping trips and doctor visits can be planned as far as possible to be done during the slower hours for the business.
- Good Hand-Washing While this is easy to overlook, cleanliness is important – with colds, flue or other viruses. Because germs can be easily transported from our hands to our mouths, nasal passages and the delicate tissue of the eyes – wash your hands and encourage your children too. Be aware of what you touch and wash your hands!
- Take steps to build your immune system. A great start is to add Master Tonic to your daily regimen. Here are some other tips to help support your immune system.
- Have a Diet Rich in Probiotics – Health begins from the inside out – your gut health is of utmost importance. Having mainly “good” or beneficial bacteria inhabiting your gut means your body can more effectively deal with intruding viruses and bacteria – it is not weakened by fighting the effects that “bad” or harmful bacteria within your own system can cause – autoimmune problems, inflammation, allergies… Your body’s immune system is stronger to fight an intruding virus or bacteria. Probiotic foods include yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, fermented carrots, raw apple cider vinegar (which is in Master Tonic) and kombucha.
- Real Food Diet – Give your body what it needs to maintain, build and repair with nutrient dense foods. Non-processed foods are the most nutrient dense focusing on superfoods that are packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants – dark leafy green vegetables, avocados, grass-fed meats, omega-3 rich fish, nuts, citrus fruits, whole grains, good fats like coconut oil and olive oil…
- Fermented Cod Liver Oil – Fermented Cod Liver Oil is a traditional superfood that is rich in the fat soluble vitamins – vitamins A, D, and K. The fermented cod liver oil is easily digestible and the nutrients are readily available to your body. It helps boost your immune system! We use this Butter Oil/Fermented Cod Liver Oil – our favorite flavor is the Chocolate Creme and we take 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp daily. There are also several choices of Fermented Cod Liver Oil here.
- Avoid excessive intake of foods that suppress the immune system including refined sugar, alcohol and highly processed foods. Anything in excess can be harmful!
- Get Adequate Rest – Your body needs rest and specifically sleep to rebuild and repair. The average person needs 7 – 8 hours of sleep per night. A six-year study involving 1.1 million people conducted by the University of California San Diego found that people who slept 6.5 to 7.4 hours a night had a lower death rate than those with shorter or longer average sleep times.
- Reduce Stress – Prolonged stress puts a strain on your adrenal gland and this decreases your immune system’s ability to function and do its job, protect you! Take steps to decrease the stress in your life.
- Exercise – Exercise is important for overall health – it gets your blood pumping, helps balance hormones and stimulates the body’s immune system.
Since each ingredient in the Master Tonic has valued medicinal properties, before I give the recipe, let’s take a look at them.
Health Benefits of the Master Tonic Ingredients
1. Health Benefits of Onion
- full of phytochemicals that help improve the working of Vitamin C in the body which helps improve immunity.
- have been used throughout history to help heal infection and decrease inflammation.
- are the best dietary source of quercetin that is a potent antioxidant and may help reduce the chance of cancer.
- contain large amounts of sulfer which is especially good for the liver.
- Chromium which helps regulate blood sugar levels is also found in onions.
- Flavonoids are found in onions and act as antioxidants.
2. Health Benefits of Jalapenos
- Full of vitamin C
- Minor source of vitamins E and B
- Contain a lot of potassium for their small size – a 45g pepper contains 153 mg of potassium
- Provide iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, copper and manganese.
- Contain phytochemicals or antioxidants to help protect you from the onset of disease.
3. Health Benefits of Ginger
- Improves absorption of nutrients in the body
- Contains anti-inflammatory properties
- Has broad-spectrum antibacterial, antiviral, properties
- Contains antioxidants
- Has anti-parasitic properties
- Helps reduce gas and nasea
4. Health Benefits of Horseradish Root
- Contains phytochemicals or antioxidants
- Has anti-inflammatory properties
- Contains phytochemicals with detoxification properties
- Provides a large amount of vitamin C
- Has sodium, potassium, manganese, iron, copper, zinc, and magnesium in moderate amounts
- Contains small amounts of folate, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), riboflavin, niacin, and pantothenic acid
5. Health Benefits of Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- Contains acetic acid which is antimicrobial and a natural preservative
- Provides antioxidants
- May improve insulin sensitivity and help lower blood sugar levels
- Reduces blood pressure
- May also contain the antioxidant chlorogenic acid , which has been shown to protect LDL cholesterol particles from becoming oxidized
- Has some amino acids in it
- Contains a small amount of potassium
How to Use Master Tonic
There is definitely a time and place for medical intervention but, prevention (building our immune system) is by far the least expensive and effective option.
With all the health benefits that the Master Tonic ingredients contain, I now start my day with a couple of tablespoons in a glass of water and it adds a nice zing!
Looking over the ingredients, you might wonder how it tastes. Actually, it is not bad but then again, I dilute it in a glass of water.
I think if taken straight, it would taste, well, a bit like medicine!
Master Tonic Video Resources
I like to know what others are using and why they like it so here are links that will take you to Amazon for the things you see me use in the video.
- My Cuisinart Food Processor makes quick work of shredding ingredients. It is waaay easier than doing it all by hand!
- I love these 1/2 gallon wide mouth jars to store and age the Master Tonic in.
- These wide mouth plastic lids are also great for use on the mason jars and they don’t rust.
- I have used Bragg’s raw apple cider vinegar but have found this California made apple cider vinegar to be to be equally good and less expensive.
- Once I strain and pour up my Master Tonic, I either pour it into a wide mouth quart jar and use the plastic lids linked above or use a grolsch bottle.
If you’ve tried this recipe for Master Tonic or any other recipe on Cultured Palate please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, YouTube and TWITTER.
- white onions
- ginger root
- horseradish root
- Use equal amounts of each ingredient - by weight.
- Finely chop or use the food processor for the first four ingredients.
- Fill a jar 2/3 full of chopped ingredients.
- Completely cover with raw apple cider vinegar to within 1" of the top.
- Place the lid on the jar and put in a cool dark place for 3 - 4 weeks.
- Shake or stir the jars daily.
- After 3 -4 weeks, strain the liquid into a colored jar.
- Take 1 - 2 Tbsp daily for adults and 1 - 2 tsp for children.
How to Use Master Tonic
- There is definitely a time and place for medical intervention but, prevention (building our immune system) is by far the least expensive and effective option.
- With all the health benefits that the Master Tonic ingredients contain, I now start my day with a couple of tablespoons in a glass of water and it adds a nice zing!
- Looking over the ingredients, you might wonder how it tastes. Actually, it is not bad but then again, I dilute it in a glass of water.
- I think if taken straight, it would taste, well, a bit like medicine!