Nothing tastes better to me than a GOOD piece (or two) of Lemon Meringue Pie like grandma used to make. You know the type I mean. The piece just looks pretty and tastes delicious!
A beautiful meringue. Sweet but tart lemony filling. And, of course a delicious flaky crust!
Yep, my mouth is watering as I get ready to share this Lemon Meringue Pie recipe that fits the bill.
I’m telling you, you are going to love it!
Whether it is hot outside and you need a refreshing cool dessert.
Or, it is cold outside and you want a homey delicious tasting dessert.
Lemon Meringue Pie has you covered!
To me, this is one recipe that brings back good memories and is definitely a comfort food! I hope you enjoy it too!
Unlike other Lemon Meringue Pies, this recipe is thickened with cornstarch and does not contain any milk or flour. I like to make a homemade pie crust but you could easily use a store bought one.
Using fresh lemon juice, this recipe contains the perfect balance of sweetness and tartness. Fresh squeezed lemon juice definitely gives a better flavor than lemon juice concentrate!
- 1 - 9 inch baked pie crust (Make your own!)
- 1½ c. sugar
- 6 Tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ c. cold water
- ½ c. lemon juice (fresh tastes best!)
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1½ c. water, boiling
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Gradually stir in the ½ c, cold water, and lemon juice and stir until smooth.
- Add and mix thoroughly the egg yolks and butter to the mixture.
- Sir constantly and add 1½ c. boiling water.
- Bring the mixture to a full boil as you stir gently.
- Reduce the heat as it begins to thicken and allow to simmer slowly for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon zest.
- Pour into the baked pie shell and cover with meringue.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Whip egg whites until frothy.
- Add cream of tartar.
- Whip until they are stiff but not dry. They should stand in peaks.
- Beat in slowly, 3 Tbsp sugar being careful not to over beat.
- Add vanilla.
- Spread on pie and bake 10 - 15 minutes.