This Coconut Ice Cream recipe is a treat whether you need a healthy sweet fix, are on the GAPS diet, eat paleo or just want a dairy free alternative. Depending on the sweetener used, it is also a delicious keto diet treat!
I was looking for a use for a can of coconut milk that I really cannot remember why I bought! So, since it is hot outside and a cold refreshing treat sounds delicious, I decided to give coconut ice cream a go!
Well, it was a hit! Refreshing, delicious and healthy!
I know there are a lot of you who have dairy allergies or just prefer to minimize the amount of milk and other dairy products in your diet. Problems with dairy are common with GAPS diet GAPSters but also for many others!
And, who doesn't want to enjoy an ice cream treat despite their dietary limitations?
Which Ice Cream Maker to Use
I use the Cuisinart ice cream makers - Pure Indulgence - to make ice cream. Unlike old fashioned ice cream makers that use salt and ice, the Cuisinart makers have a bowl that you freeze and that is what hardens the ice cream.
It is so much easier and super convenient. I just keep those bowls in the freezer and they are ready for use.
Tips for Making Coconut Ice Cream
Here are my top tips for making coconut ice cream:
- An immersion blender works great to blend the ingredients.
- If the honey does not dissolve well, heat just a bit and it will dissolve better. An immersion blender should have no problem blending it without heating the honey.
Other Ice Cream Flavors to Make
This Coconut Ice Cream Recipe is a vanilla flavored ice cream recipe that can be easily adapted with the addition of other flavors or fruit.
Other ice cream recipes or frozen yogurts to try are:
- Coffee Ice Cream
- Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream - a traditional honey flavored vanilla flavor
- Blueberry Ice Cream - uses fresh or frozen blueberries
- Black Cherry Frozen Yogurt
- Lemon Frozen Yogurt
Is Coconut Ice Cream Healthy?
Coconut contains a healthier type of fat and as long as coconut ice cream is made from scratch it can be healthy.
However, when purchasing coconut ice cream, be sure to check the ingredients and nutritional information. Often their are unnecessary additives and lots of sugar!
Can I Use Coconut Cream Instead of Coconut Milk?
Coconut cream is thicker than coconut milk because there is less water in it. If using it to replace coconut milk, add water to dilute it and get the need amount for the recipe.
Can Other Sweeteners Be Used?
Yes! I used honey in the following recipe and it is delicious.
I tested other sweeteners that worked well. The amounts I used for each are below but feel free to adjust for the amount of sweetness you desire.
The other sweeteners I tested, that also yield wonderful results in this coconut ice cream recipe were:
- 1/4 c. Maple Syrup
- 1/4c. Monk Fruit Sweetener - this is great for keto!
Can I Freeze the Uneaten Portion of Coconut Ice Cream?
Yes, the uneaten portion of coconut ice cream can be stored in the freezer in an airtight container. That being said, it does taste best and has the best consistency made fresh.
To thaw, remove from the freezer about 20 minutes before serving.
If necessary, it can be microwaved at 10 second intervals to soften.
If you’ve tried Coconut Ice Cream or any other recipe on Cultured Palate please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and YouTube.
Coconut Ice Cream
For Ice Cream Maker
- Blend all ingredients well. I like to use an immersions blender.
- Taste and adjust sweetener as desired.
- Place ingredients in an ice cream maker and freeze according to instructions.
- Mix all ingredients as above.
- Pour the mixture into ice cube trays and place in the freezer until frozen.
- Place frozen mixture into the blender and puree until smooth and creamy.
What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
Leave a comment - I would love to know!