Without the unnecessary ingredients and artificial flavorings, Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup is easy to make and delicious!
After posting the Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup recipe, one reader asked me how I would suggest making a cream of mushroom soup. That was the encouragement I needed to get to work.
This recipe is adapted from the Soups and Muffins cookbook by Sue Gregg which is now out of print but can be found used. I began tweaking this recipe to use as a substitute for the store bought version in recipes. Casseroles always taste better with a cream soup in them, don’t they?
To be honest, the first time I made the Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup, it was to use as a subtitute. But, it tasted so good, I decided to serve it as a bowl of soup with a salad, homemade salad dressing and pumpkin muffins. It was a hit with the family!
- Blended soups have more flavor but unblended soups tend to be more appealing when served.
- When using Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup as a substitute for the store bought version, I use an immersion blender to blend it. Otherwise, I do not blend it.
- Canned mushrooms can be substituted for the fresh ones and the soup is still delicious.
- 2 cups (1 pint) of soup = 1 can of Cream of Chicken Soup.
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
Yield 6 cups
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 lb. (4 1/2 c.) fresh mushrooms, chopped - may use canned mushrooms
- 6 oz canned mushroom slices
- 1/3 c. unbleached white flour
- 2 c. beef broth or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
I buy my real salt, herbs and spices from my affiliate, Starwest Botanicals, because of their superior quality. Their herbs & spices are organic, non-irradiated plus, I think they are more aromatic and full flavored than any others.
- Saute onion and garlic in butter.
- Add fresh mushrooms and saute about 10 minutes - stir frequently. Canned mushrooms may be substituted.
- Drain canned mushrooms
- Using a wire whisk, blend the flour into the milk until smooth.
- Add milk and beef or chicken broth to sauteed vegetables.
- Heat stirring constantly until thickened.
- At this point, you may puree all or part of the soup in a blender or use an immersion blender.
Blended soup is more flavorful and works better as a substitute for store bought canned cream of mushroom soup.!Unblended soup is more attractive when serving a bowl of soup.You can substitute canned mushrooms for fresh.