Creamy, warming and delicious homemade cream of mushroom soup. This cream of mushroom soup recipe is not only full of flavor but contains no nasty ingredients. This soup can be eaten as it is for lunch or dinner or used in many different recipes that calls for it.
I love homemade replacements! Not only do they taste better but they are healthier. Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup is no exception.
Without the unnecessary ingredients and artificial flavorings, this Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe is easy to make and delicious!
After posting the Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup recipe, one reader asked me how I would suggest making a cream of mushroom soup. That was the encouragement I needed to get to work.
This recipe is adapted from the Soups and Muffins cookbook by Sue Gregg which is now out of print but can be found used.
I began tweaking this recipe to use as a substitute for the store bought version in recipes like Easy Broccoli Casserole and other homemade favorites. Casseroles always taste better with cream of mushroom soup in them, don't they?
To be honest, the first time I made this Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup reicipe, it was to use as a substitute. But, it tasted so good, I decided to serve it as a bowl of soup with a salad, homemade salad dressing and pumpkin muffins. It was a hit with the family!
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe Tips
- Blended soups have more flavor but unblended soups tend to be more appealing when served.
- When using Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup as a substitute for the store bought version, I use an immersion blender to blend it. Otherwise, I do not blend it.
- Canned mushrooms can be substituted for the fresh ones and the soup is still delicious.
- 2 cups (1 pint) of soup = 1 can of Cream of Chicken Soup.
If you’ve tried this Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe or any other recipe on Cultured Palate please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, YouTube and TWITTER.
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 6 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¾ lb. about 4 ½ c. fresh mushrooms, chopped - may use canned mushrooms
- 6 oz canned mushroom slices
- ⅓ cups unbleached white flour
- 2 cups beef broth or chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
Saute onion and garlic in butter.
Add fresh mushrooms and saute about 10 minutes - stir frequently. Canned mushrooms may be substituted.
Drain canned mushrooms and add to the above sautéed mushrooms and continue sautéing for about 3 mins or until heated thoroughly.
Using a wire whisk, blend the flour into the milk until smooth.
Add milk and beef or chicken broth to sauteed vegetables.
Heat stirring constantly until thickened.
At this point, you may puree all or part of the soup in a blender or use an immersion blender.
- Blended soup is more flavorful and works better as a substitute for store bought canned cream of mushroom soup.
- Unblended soup is more attractive when serving a bowl of soup.
- You can substitute canned mushrooms for fresh.