How to Get Rid of Gallstones Naturally

How to Get Rid of Gallstones Naturally

Have you ever had a gallbladder attack?

Talk about painful!

Thankfully, I have found something that works like a charm, is not invasive and lets me keep my gallbladder!

My Experience

I had my first when pregnant with our 8th child and after an all-you-can eat pizza buffet – a high fat meat! It was no fun, in fact, it was quite painful! As a nurse, I knew that I was a prime candidate for gallbladder surgery. Having cared for gallbladder patients, I knew that it was a difficult surgery and I did not want it! In seeking an alternative to gallbladder surgery, my father introduced me to a gallbladder cleanse, also called a gallbladder flush.

I have continued to use the recipe that I will give below, as needed with success. Until I started the GAPS diet, I would use the flush once a year or so. Since I have been on the GAPS diet, interestingly, my gallbladder attacks increased during the first 8 – 10 months or so. During this time, I did the gallbladder cleanse monthly until my stones subsided. Whatever the reason, the GAPS diet seemed to accentuate my gallbladder problem. My gallbladder was not functioning properly and through the healing process of the GAPS diet it is now much better and the need for a gallbladder cleanse in almost unnecessary.

Before I give the recipe …

Did you know that nearly 1 million gallbladders are removed yearly?

Over 20 years ago, gallbladders were removed surgically and the recovery period was slow and painful.  The traditional “open” gallbladder surgery has almost completely been replaced with the introduction of laparoscopy. Laparoscopy uses small instruments and a lighted tube equipped with a video camera, all inserted through tiny abdominal incisions. The recovery period is quicker and less painful with a laparoscopy making it the preferred method of removal.

Unfortunately, the number of gallbladder operations has risen 40 percent since the introduction of the laparoscopy! Perhaps the doctors would prefer to avoid severe attacks so, the gallbladder is removed with vague symptoms like bloating and gas. This equals unnecessary surgery!

Laporascopic removal of the gallbladder while used commonly is not without risk. Accidental severing of the bile duct, which can cause permanent liver damage, occurs in 1 to 2 percent of laparoscopies—three times more often than in open surgery!

Function of the Gallbladder:

The gallbladder is located just under the liver and has a very important role in the digestive process.

According to Wikipedia:

In vertebrates the gallbladder (cholecystgall bladderbiliary vesicle) is a small organ that aids mainly in fat digestion and concentrates bile produced by the liver. The surgical removal of the gallbladder is called a cholecystectomy.

To put it another way, it emulsifies fats. Think of trying to wash greasy dishes without soap. It is almost impossible. Why? Because soap emulsifies the grease. Similarly, the gallbladder stores bile and bile acids, which emulsify the fat eaten so it can be properly transported through the intestine into the blood stream.

Bile is made in the liver, then stored in the gallbladder until the body needs it to digest fat. At that time, the gallbladder contracts and pushes the bile into a tube–called the common bile duct–that carries it to the small intestine, where it helps with digestion. Under certain conditions the bile can harden into stones.

Types of Gallstones:

There are two two types of gallstones:

1. Cholesterol stones made up of hardened cholesterol are usually yellow-green. 80 percent of gallstones are cholesterol stones. They are caused by too much cholesterol, bilirubin, or not enough bile salts or when the gallbladder does not empty as it should.

Gallstones - cholesterol stones

2. Pigment stones made of bilirubin are small, dark stones. Their cause is uncertain although they tend to occur in people with cirrhosis, biliary tract infections, and hereditary blood disorders such as sickle cell anemia – these conditions cause too much bilirubin to form.

Gallstones - pigment stones 180

Either type of gallstones can be as small as a grain of sand or as large as a golf ball. The gallbladder can develop either one large stone, hundreds of tiny stones, or almost any combination.

Symptoms of a Gallbladder Attack:

If gallstones lodge in any of the ducts that carry bile from the liver to the small intestines, a gallbladder attack occurs. Symptoms have a rapid onset and may include:

• Steady pain in the upper abdomen that increases rapidly and lasts from 30 minutes to several hours
  • Pain in the back between the shoulder blades
  • Pain under the right shoulder
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal bloating
  • Recurring intolerance of fatty foods
  • Belching
  • Gas
  • Indigestion

An easy way to determine if your pain is related to the gallbladder is to press down below on your last rib on your right side and lined up with your nipple – if there is pain there is a good chance that you have a gallbladder problem.

Curing Symptoms Not the Problem:

The removal of the gallbladder is a procedure called Cholecystectomy. Of the 1 million cholecystectomys or gallbladder removals that are done yearly, it is estimated that only a few thousand actually need to come out! Sadly, as many as half of the patients continue to have pain after the gallbladder is removed. Rather than treat the symptoms, more care should be taken to heed the warning signals and determine why the gallbladder is not functioning properly.

liver pancreas

One way to relieve congestion in the gallbladder is a gallbladder cleanse or flush. I am not a medical doctor and do not pretend to give medical advise but I do want to share what has worked for me. The following recipe is one I have used since my first attack in 2002. I use it when I begin to experience pain in my right side, just under my ribs. It is a pain that once you have, you recognize instantly.  While I normally do not have severe pain (because I do the flush before it gets too bad), I have procrastinated and had sever pain, nausea and vomiting – all of which are relieved by the following cleanse and passage of gallstones.

Gallbladder Cleanse Recipe

Drink 1 qt of apple juice each day for 5 days. Drink the apple juice in addition to your regular diet.  The apple juice contains limonoid which helps soften any gallstones and alleviate any pain you are experiencing.

On the 6th day:

Do not eat anything after 6 pm.

At 6 pm, take 1 Tbsp Epsom salt with a full glass of water. Mix the Epsom salt in the water – it takes a bit of stirring. I take a big breath and down it quickly!

At 8 pm repeat 1 Tbsp Epsom salt with a full glass of water.

At 10 pm – mix and drink quickly, 4 oz. olive oil (from my affiliate -where to buy) and 4 oz. lemon juice.

Go to bed and in the morning you will pass any gallstones you may have. I normally have varying sizes of bright green gallstones visible in the toilet. The Epsom salt acts as a laxative to quickly remove the gallstones from the intestinal tract.

Photo Credit © Depositphotos.com/alila

Related posts:

join the newsletter
Sign-up and get my 20 Must Have Superfoods eBook FREE!

Comments

1. Jeff Smith says

Is there ANY Scientific evidence or proof for any of this? I have not found any, but have found a lot of information that what may be expelled is not gallstones?!?

• says

Jeff, there is a comment from a reader who had her gallstones expelled via this cleanse analyzed and they were indeed gallstones. There is info (ie. quackwatch) to say that this is a hoax but, if you have ever had a gallbladder attack and experienced the relief (long term not just short lived) that comes with this cleanse, you would be a believer. The medical industry stands to lose a lot of money if people begin to take responsibility for their health and stop relying on the routine medical procedures that are done many times for the sake of money.

• Rongs says

Hi, my 11 years old daughter has been diagnosed with gall stones about 7-8 mm in sizes. I would like her to try your cleansing therapy. Is it safe for an 11 year old? Please advice.

• says

Rongs, I used this cleanse when I thought our children had problems with their gallbladder and they were 7 and 10 at the time – they had no problems but again, I am not a doctor and can not give you medical advise – only what has worked for me and mine.

• Angelica says

I have a comment about Quackwatch…. I really don’t pay attention to what they have to say because they say essential oils is complete quackery. Essential oils helped me save my foot and toes having to be amputated due to staph/MRSA entering my toes. It then went into my bloodstream and I was septic. While I was in the hospital my bp dropped from 42/18 at one point. I used essential oils and ginger root to raise my bp to normal limits (prayer too) and also to kill off the infection.

Separate time I used essential oils to regenerate nerves in my hand and avoided surgery after a terrible accident that left me with 17 stitches in my hand.

Sooooo….. this cleanse would be the least of my worries when big pharma has so many side effects all the time.

2. Nora says

Hello I think I have been having some gallbladder issues. I want to do this cleanse..I only concern is is there any risk of a very large stone getting stuck and becoming an emerg situations

• says

Nora, yes, as stated in the post, this is a risk. The purpose of the apple juice is to soften the stones so they will pass easily but it is possible that a stone would be too large to pass. I have never had a problem and everyone must weigh the risk with the potential benefit of avoiding surgery. I have been willing to take the risk because I would rather have surgery as a result of trying a natural remedy than merely opting for surgery without trying an alternative.

• Sunny says

As you said there is risk that stone my get stuck. My wife having stones ranging size 4 – 6 mm. I am planning to use this remedy. Any idea if this much size stones safely pass out?

Also what was the size of your stones?

• says

Sunny, I never knew the size of my stones before doing the cleanse and I can’t tell you the size which can pass safely. The apple juice softens the stones allowing them to pass without pain but other than that, I really don’t know.

3. Jenny says

I am looking forward to try this. Is it okay if I drink water after the lemon juice and olive oil mixture? Not right away but maybe before going to bed, like an hour later? Thanks.

4. Amanda says

Thank you so so much for this cleanse. I was a bit wary but I’m so glad I did it. I passed so many stones, I couldn’t count them. Some were the size of grains of rice and others the size of green peas. Looking forward to living live pain free. Thank you again:)

5. Murtaza says

I have a 1cm gallstone. Would that be ok to perform this cleansing for this size of stone, or if you can provide with some more info on this

• says

Murtaza, I am not a doctor and cannot advise you concerning the size of stones which are safe to do this cleanse for. I have never known how large my stones were beforehand but the purpose of the apple is to soften the stones allowing them to pass without discomfort. Also, it would probably be different a different size for different people.

6. Anuia says

Can it be any type of apple juice? I got 20 oz down of apple juice and automatically starting having heartburn. Is this just part of the process?

• Sara says

I drink raw organic apple cider vinegar with one squeezed lemon and water…. It usually desolves the stones. I man at my church does this so i gave it a try and got relief from it! Sometimes it takes a couple of days but it works!

7. Merni says

Hello,

I am about to start taking the first set of Epsom salt. My question is, what is the first thing I should eat or drink tomorrow morning? Also, can I still take my thyroid medication on an empty stomach tomorrow morning?

8. Beaty says

I am going to try this. Background info:

-31 year old male
    -athletic / muscular build
    -first instance of gall bladder inflammation (I had a long/extra fun weekend of red meat and too much alcohol)

Today is May 30th, 2015 1830 and I am beginning my first quart of apple juice. I will continue to report as the days progress.

• Beaty says

Well, I did a week of apple juice. I initially started with Walmart brand but I drank it all. I then switched to Motts Pure Applejuice. It may have been psychosomatic, but I think the Pure Applejuice did a better job o relieving the pain.

At 1800 June 5, I slugged down the first Epsom Salt and again at 2000 repeated. Thats been fun. My rear end is a bit raw but better than surgery right?

I’ve already prepared the olive oil and squeezed four ounces of lemon juice from 3 lemons. Once I down that, I will let you know how it goes in the morning!

• Beaty says

Well, its 0800 and I have not noticed any changes. I slugged down the Lemon Juice / Olive Oil Concoction last night and went straight to bed. I used the bathroom once when waking up (I think it was left over from the Epsom Salts) but did not notice any sort of stone. If anything changes I will post it. Hope others have better luck.

• Angelica says

Beaty,

I was eager to hear what happened in the end. Did you indeed pass any stones or did you not? Have you retried doing the cleanse to see if you have different results?

9. Luly says

Hi Dina

First of all thank you!
    Dina ,I am in Germany and they have too many Epsom salts which one should i buy?
    The stores neither the pharmacies over here have it ,i found it in Amazon.de but they have too many options
    Thanks
    Have a lovely day
    Luly

• Luly says

Hi Dina

I found the food grade , most of them were for bath.
      I would like to share that in my case to drink the apple juice luck warm makes the disconfort much easier than if it is room temperature or cold .
      I am drinking an organic, and cloud one.

Thanks,

10. Jen says

Hi, I am 23 weeks pregnant with my 7th (two miscarriages) and having similar symptoms as the gall bladder attack/pain you are decribing. I am also an advocate of empowering my health rather than depending on a doctor for medical issues……..though not against it when absolutely necessary. Did you do this flush when you were pregnant? If not, what did you do to alleviate the pain?
    Jen in NM

11. zelda says

My mothers gallstone has become very small, she went for a scan this morning. Should she drink then Epsom salt tonight or wait to hearing what the doctor says?

12. Deeann says

I had a cat scan due to a gallbladder attack they told me my gallbladder was contracted but they saw no stones beside changing my diet tu no fried food unless dairy more veggies and fruit what does cleanse do anything for me or do you have another suggestion taking care of the contracted gallbladder

• Corrina says

I’m so glad I found this site! I will be trying your recipe and pray it helps. I recently went to the hospital and had a scan done. They found lots of stones and said I would need to have my gall bladder removed. I was sent home with a care package of pain meds and indigestion meds… And a bill over $1000 .. Geez how nice huh? Hopefully now I’ll buy the recommended list above, pass the stones and save $6000 on surgery !! Crossing fingers :)

13. Vincent Mah says

Hi Dina,
    I have done a body scan recently and a gallstone of 0.7cm was detected. I do not feel any pain bit intend to give your method a try.

Do you think i should give it try since it is not giving me any problem?

Would the stone get lodge and stuck somewhere causing pain as such?

Appreciate your early reply. Thanks.

• Vincent says

Hi Dina,
      I am so glad i found your website. I follow your method starting from last monday. I am so happy to see so small 0.5mm greenish soft stone likes, about hundreds of them, floating in my stool on the 7th day.

Btw, my scan showed a 0.7cm stone and i was expecting to see one stone actually. Did that stone broke into smaller pieces?

Thank you.

14. Manjari Das says

Dear Dina,
    Thanks a lot for this post.
    I am from India, today is first day of taking apple juice and the juice is increasing my blotting creating huge amount of uneasiness , is it usual or there is some reaction going on and I should not be doing it. Please advise.
    Regards
    Manjari

• says

Manjari, others have also commented on the bloating associated with apple juice. I have not personally experienced it and hopefully as the cleanse progresses, it will decrease. I think your system is not used to having the fruit juice and maybe just needs time to get used to it. Another reader commented that they found drinking it lukewarm helped.

• says

Sophie, I would think the sugar in apple juice may cause problems in diabetics. I have never used anything else so I do not even have a substitute to suggest. Maybe another reader?

• Sara says

2tbs Raw Apple cider vinager usually can be found at a local grocery store or health food store. Braggs is a great brand!
      1 squeezed lemon or lemon juice and water.
      Mix all together and drink. It doesn’t taste good to be honest. I add liquid stevia to make it a little sweeter but the relief is worth the taste in my opinion!

15. kendra says

Hi Dina,

First of all, thank you so much for this site, and sharing your experience about the gallbladder flush. I have been doing a parasite cleanse this month, and have been on a pretty strict diet during the process. On Saturday night after work (I’m a nurse as well) I was STARVING! The parasite/Candida cleanse diet is basically protein and veggies, with legumes and nuts sparingly. I just wanted a break from that, and stopped for a cheeseburger and fries at a placed called Five Guys.

By Sunday morning at 6am, I had the WORST pain in my upper abdomen ever! It was radiating through to my back, and the area just under my rib cage on the right side was throbbing. I had been having gallbladder pain since last year, but didn’t realize until recently that’s what it was. I quickly got up and popped some Tums, and drank some aloe vera juice. This helped none at all. I have a history of peptic ulcers, and thought this would neutralize the possible acid in my stomach. I haven’t had any issues in over a year and a half, as I’ve been eating pretty healthy. Finally, at 1am Monday morning I was in the ER. They gave me a GI cocktail, did a gallbladder scan, CBC, and urine test. They said my WBCs were slightly elevated, but the scan looked normal and so did the blood work. I left with a script for Prilosec, and the MD suggested I pick up some Pepcid. I picked up the Pepcid, buy never filled the script. I just had a feeling there was another problem.

Something told me to Google how to eliminate gallstones naturally, and then I found you! This process is so straight forward and simple, I will start tomorrow. I’ve taken so many potions and concoctions, the Epsom salts and olive oil/lemon juice doesn’t even scare me. That’s what I use to make salad dressing anyway.

I did want to ask you about the pics of your gallstones. You said they come out in your stool, so did you just take the time to separate the stones FROM your poop for the purpose of the pics? Or they come out on their own in between the stool releasing into the toilet? Just curious. Thanks.

Thanks again, and I will report back about my results!

• says

Kendra, I actually found pics of stones from a sight that matched mine. But, You do not have to separate the stones, many of them are easily distinguishable and look exactly like the pics in the post. Let me know how it goes for you!

• kendra says

Hi Dina,

Thank you for your reply. I am currently on day four of drinking the apple juice, and am looking forward to the epsom salt and olive oil/lemon juice on Sunday!

I will say, drinking so much apple juice has taken a bit to get used to; especially being on the parasite cleanse, which discourages any sugar intake. But I just wanted to get this anyway, because I’m tire of the pain and discomfort.

Like I said, they did a scan in the ED, and said my gallbladder looked good. Is it possible I have stones, and they didn’t show up on the scan? I’m just hoping I’m not shooting in the dark here, and after all this, no stones come out.

Thanks.

16. angieO says

I began having issues a few months ago, thought it was “just” the lactose intolerance and gluten intolerance that has begun to plague me in the few last years. Massive bloating, panic attacks from the pressure in my abdomen pushing on my heart and lungs, making it hard to breathe, and then add in a few fairly painful sporadic shooting pains into legs, heart, arms, back, and I was having a BALL last week.

Tuesday, my hubs reminded me that he did a gallbladder flush years ago when he couldn’t eat in the mornings (interestingly enough: eggs were his belly’s main nemesis) and it worked for him quite well. Did some research online…

SO! I found your flush and others and decided to try that in conjunction with eliminating all fats and cholesterol out of my diet while I did so. According to many sites (WebMD and others) a gallbladder attack can be helped by Apple cider Vinagar (I drank 2oz at a time, followed by juice – blech!). So I combined the logic and did both. I ate just fruit, veggies all week. A little brown rice and chicken broth were much needed. By Thursday I was so hungry, I shed a tear when I smelled BBQ. (I was drinking 2 q. of Apple Juice (fresh pressed, no added sugar) + 2oz of ACV (from the Mother) each day (during a painful episode or whenever I felt like my tummy could handle it).

But, last night I got to the oil and lemon concoction – worst thing I have ever drank. It’s sooo bad. This morning, as expected – voila! It worked. Now I am looking forward to returning to my gluten and dairy free existence, as it is so much better than no gluten, dairy, fats or cholesterol.

Thanks for posting. Very helpful. Now… COFFEE! (…which can cause spasms if you are having an attack.)

17. Varun says

Hi, Today I have started the six day apple juice treatment for the gall bladder. I would like to clear the following points from you:
    1) I am making fresh apple juice from green apple, is this ok?
    2) Any special diet for these 6 days.

18. Nirmal says

i have purchased ( SATINANCE EPSOM SALT ) this is good for drink and use for gallblader removel naturlly.
    please reply anyone urgent

• Nirmal says

Hi,
        Dina actully my wife is suffering from Gallblader stone ( pain everyday) and i have small child so i should try apple natural tips. please send the full name of (Epsom Salft). i have purchased epsome salt ( in box mention of (only for exeternal use) so i’m confuse . you have any online purchase website plz send. please help.

• Nirmal says

Hi, Dina
            but Dr. Teal’s Epsom Salt also mention on box of ( only for External use ) this is good for Drink. and internal use

• says

Nirmal, my bag has directions to use it as a laxative. Dr. Teal does make one with lavender and last I checked, it did not have the directions for use as a laxative on the bag.

• says

Arya, the Epsom salt is used as a laxative to move any stones passed quickly through the intestines so they are not re-absorbed. I have never used anything else but I don’t see why you couldn’t, especially if you can not get it where you live.

19. says

Dear Dina,
    During the 5 pre-flush days when adding apple juice to diet, are we to limit or omit fat from our diet….or just eat as we usually eat?
    Are we to fast from all food on day 6 or only after 2 p.m?
    Also, I have really bad insomnia, so it will be super hard for me to remain quiet after drinking oil/lemon juice. Is this a requirement for success?
    Thank you!

• says

Judy, just eat normally every day of the cleanse. Remaining quiet is what I have done even if I do not go to sleep – you may feel your stomach rumbling and just feel better lying down.

• says

Dea, mine have lasted until I do the cleanse which is as soon as possible. I would think they could go for weeks but I have never let it go for weeks so I’m not sure – someone else?

20. Nando says

Hi,

I have tried your procedure twice already (following the instructions to the t) and had no result in terms of gallstone removal. I did not even have the laxative efect of the Epsom Salt.

Any follow up suggestion.

An answer is appreciated.

Nando

21. Avir says

Dear Dina,

First of all, thanks for this informative article.

One of my family member has been diagnosed with a gallstone size of 1.5cms.
    She is very interested to try the gallbladder cleans but she is worried if 1.5cm size is way too big to come out naturally?
    Another thing, she has high blood pressure so can it cause any further complexity?
    I understand that you are not a medical doctor, but I would highly appreciate if you could let me know your thoughts on this matter.

Best wishes,
    Avir

• says

Avir, I have never know how large my gallstones were before doing the cleanse so I really cannot give any personal advise. The purpose of the apple juice is to soften the stones and especially larger ones allowing them to pass without pain – but I don’t know how large is too large. If she is on blood pressure meds, she should continue to take them if she chooses to do the cleanse.

Trackbacks