Want a great frozen yogurt recipe? Black Cherry Frozen Yogurt is my all-time favorite frozen yogurt flavor. Yes, others are also good, but this flavor is extra delicious and so easy to make at home.
And, while I enjoy bites of the various flavors, I rarely have a whole bowl of ice cream since I am still watching my sugar intake.
But, I do enjoy a whole bowl of frozen yogurt - sometimes I admit, I have 2 bowls!
My absolute favorite flavor (right now, anyway) is Black Cherry Frozen yogurt! It's the frozen yogurt recipe I'm sharing with you today!
In fact, as a birthday surprise, the children threw a surprise party for me! And, they made this very recipe!
Children, spouses, and grandchildren were here and we had a shrimp boil followed by 2 types of cheesecake (one of which was Sour Cream Cheesecake) and Black Cherry Frozen Yogurt - it was delicious, to say the least!
My secret to effortlessly making this frozen yogurt recipe or any ice cream is our new ice cream maker purchased from my affiliate partner - a Cuisinart Pure Indulgence Ice Cream Maker.
Because of our family size, I bought two after last year's grape harvest and everyone is enjoying them. Mainly because I actually use them and we have ice cream and frozen yogurt frequently!
But the following recipe will work great in a traditional ice cream maker using ice and salt.
Frozen yogurt is just as easy as the ice cream is to make and using homemade yogurt makes it even more economical and healthy.
Another plus to frozen yogurt is the probiotics in it. Did you know that many people who can not digest milk are able to digest yogurt? The probiotics in yogurt make it easy to digest and what a yummy way to add probiotics into your diet!
Frozen yogurt also has a lower fat content and fewer calories than ice cream. If you are looking for a healthier frozen treat, then frozen yogurt is definitely the way to go!
This homemade Black Cherry Frozen Yogurt is made using only a few simple ingredients. If you don't have black cherries or prefer a different flavor check out the variations down below for some ideas.
- Yogurt - I prefer making homemade yogurt and using that for this recipe, but you can also use store-bought yogurt if you want something easier. I suggest using plain whole-milk yogurt or Greek yogurt.
- Black cherries - Fresh or frozen
- Honey - I like using honey as the sweetener because it is healthier, but you can use granulated sugar if you prefer. Or a combination of both!
- Almond flavor - You can substitute vanilla extract if you don't have any almond flavor on hand.
Homemade Black Cherry Frozen Yogurt can be made in 30 minutes and only requires a few easy steps!
Blend. Start by adding the yogurt, black cherries, honey, and almond flavor to a blender and blend until smooth.
Freeze. Pour the mixture into the ice cream maker and freeze according to the directions. Be sure not to fill the ice cream maker any higher than ½ inch from the top since the volume expands as it mixes and freezes.
For firmer consistency, take the yogurt out of your maker and place it in the freezer for 20 - 30 minutes.
Serve. The frozen yogurt will have a consistency like soft-serve ice cream after freezing in the ice cream maker. Serve immediately and enjoy!
If you do not eat it all at once, the remainder can be frozen but be sure to take it out and allow it to soften before eating it.
This black cherry frozen yogurt is so delicious and easy to make. The best part is it can be made in many different ways if you ever get bored of black cherry or if you don't have black cherries on hand.
Instead of black cherries, other fruits you can enjoy are strawberries, mango, raspberries, and peaches. You could even do a combination of fruits like strawberry-banana or pineapple-mango. The options are endless!
For a rich and indulgent flavored frozen yogurt try adding cocoa powder to make a chocolate frozen yogurt. Chop up some Oreos, Reese's, or your favorite cookie and add it to the ice cream maker right before it's almost done mixing.
If you want an extra dose of caffeine in your frozen yogurt make coffee frozen yogurt. Add espresso or strong coffee before blending, but make sure the coffee is completely cooled before adding.
I love making this Black Cherry Frozen Yogurt recipe for those hot summer days. It is so easy to make and the whole family enjoys it!
- Put the freezer bowl in the freezer the night before so it's ready to use.
- Leftover frozen yogurt can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer, but remember to let it soften before serving.
- To prevent ice crystals from forming on the top of your frozen yogurt, add a layer of parchment paper on top.
- If you don't have cherries on hand any berries will do the trick
- For a firmer consistency, take the frozen yogurt out of the maker and place it in the freezer for 20 - 30 minutes.
More Frozen Treats
If you are looking for more cold treats for this summer check out some of my favorite recipes to enjoy during hot weather.
- Coffee Ice Cream - This recipe is delicious and perfect for when you need that little extra boost of caffeine to keep your day going.
- Lemon Frozen Yogurt - Make this at home for a refreshing cold treat!
- Frozen Yogurt Popsicles - A great healthy treat for the kids (and adults 😉) that is filled with probiotics and healthier than store-bought popsicles.
- Blueberry Ice Cream - This is definitely a family favorite! Blueberries are full of antioxidants and rich in Vitamin C and potassium.
If you’ve tried this Black Cherry Frozen Yogurt or any other recipe on Cultured Palate please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, YouTube and TWITTER
Black Cherry Frozen Yogurt
- 6 cups yogurt
- 1 cup black cherries fresh or frozen - I used frozen
- 1 cup honey
- ½ teaspoon almond flavor
Blend the yogurt, cherries, honey and almond flavoring in the blender.
Pour mixture into ice cream maker and freeze according to directions.
For the Cuisinart Pure Indulgence Ice Cream Makers, be sure not to fill any higher than ½ inch from the top since the volume expands as it mixes and freezes.
Tips For Making Black Cherry Frozen Yogurt;
- Put the freezer bowl in the freezer the night before so it's ready to use
- Any leftover frozen yogurt can be stored in an airtight container and frozen, remember to let it soften before serving. mix with a spoon or blender for a smooth, soft serve texture.
- If you don't have cherries on hand any berries will do the trick
- This recipe yields frozen yogurt which is the consistency of soft serve ice cream - for a more firm consistency, take the yogurt out of the maker and place in the freezer for 20 - 30 minutes.