The tanginess of the lemon in this Lemon Frozen Yogurt Recipe not only gets your attention but refreshes as it nourishes. What's better than a healthy frozen yogurt treat? Plus, it is a GAPS legal dessert that has no processed sugar!
You can use either store bought yogurt or make it yourself.
Learning how to make yogurt is easy, economical and doesn't require any special equipment. Plus, it is full of probiotics to benefit your intestinal bacteria. You can't get much better than a HEALTHY dessert!
The only problem with serving my family frozen treats is the old-fashioned ice cream maker. You know, the kind where you add ice and rock salt in layers and continue until it is full. It is just so messy!
Thanks to my daughter-in-law, Jessica, I now have the solution that I think should be in everyone's kitchen: The Cuisinart Pure Indulgence Ice Cream Maker - period!
Seriously, EVERY kitchen needs one - or two depending on your family size!
It's a very handy machine and easier to use than most ice cream makers. If that wasn't enough - the frozen yogurt was done in only 20 minutes!
Since I still have 6 of our 10 children at home, I ended up buying two of my own!
How to Make Lemon Frozen Yogurt Healthy
This frozen yogurt recipe takes all the goodness of conventional ice cream and frozen yogurt and adds some healthy twists to it all. It's all about starting with healthy ingredients from the beginning.
1. Use a Good Quality Yogurt
If you don't make your own, make sure the yogurt you buy contains active yogurt cultures. This will be stated on the container.
2. Use Real Lemon Juice
For instance, take the fact that we're using raw lemon, instead of lemon flavoring or artificial lemon. That opens us up to all the potential health benefits of that lemon.
3. Sweeten with Honey
Honey has health benefits which among others include the fact that it has nutrients your body can use and is full of antioxidants. Sweetened with honey means that it is also GAPS legal and a real food treat.
Why This Lemon Frozen Yogurt Recipe Is Healthy
- Yogurt is a healthy probiotic food that contains a lot of calcium, as well as, other nutrients to nourish your body.
- The eggs in this recipe act as a binder. Some frozen recipes using egg come out more like custard but this recipe does not. The egg also gives a little extra protein in the mix while making the recipe work even better.
- This recipe is sweetened with honey, not sugar. Plus, the honey and lemon together produce such a lovely flavor combination of sweet and tangy. Talk about tasty!
Without further ado, here's the recipe!
If you’ve tried this Lemon Frozen Yogurt Recipe or any other recipe on Cultured Palate please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, YouTube and TWITTER.
Lemon Frozen Yogurt
- 3 cups yogurt
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cups honey
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- juice of 2 lemons
Blend all ingredients together in a blender for about 30 seconds - just to mix well.
Pour into an ice cream maker and mix according to the directions.
- The eggs in this recipe act as a binder. But don't worry: You shouldn't get an overly "eggy" taste when it's all combined together. It's just a way of getting extra protein in the mix while making the recipe work even better.
- This recipe is sweetened with honey, not sugar but feel free to experiment with your sweetener of choice.
What is Your Favorite Flavor of Either Frozen Yogurt or Ice Cream?
Leave a comment - I would love to know!