This broccoli has a bit of a Chinese twist! Sesame Oven Roasted Broccoli is flavored with a sesame sauce that is delicious. And, there is a gluten free version below. Definitely a winner of a broccoli recipe!
For those of you who are gluten free, you can still enjoy this oven roasted broccoli recipe. Substitute liquid aminos for the soy sauce and enjoy the great flavor without the gluten!
I know, many don't like broccoli but with the sesame sauce of this oven roasted broccoli recipe, I think even the toughest opponent will be converted!
After all, think of them as little trees that you get to eat. At least, that works to get my children to eat up their broccoli!
Sesame Oven Roasted Broccoli Step by Step
Preheat the oven to 400, place the broccoli florets.
In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, oil and spices. Pour the sauce over the broccoli, and mix well to distribute the sauce evenly. Photo 1
Place seasoned broccoli onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Photo 2
Roast in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn, but you’ll want a nice darker, roasted color on the broccoli. Photo 3
Remove from the oven and let cool slightly, and garnish with some sesame seeds before serving. Photo 4
Tips for Making Sesame Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Frozen broccoli may be used - thaw first.
- Gluten free version: Use Liquid aminos instead of soy sauce.
- There is no added salt in this recipe because of the soy sauce - feel free to adjust to your taste.
Can This Be an Oven Roasted Broccolini?
Yes, if you have broccolini available to you, by all means use it - it is delicious! In fact, broccolini is best when cooked and an oven roasted recipe is perfect!
What is the Difference Between Broccoli and Broccolini?
Broccoli and Broccolini, along with Chinese broccoli, are all part of the cabbage family and are cruciferous vegetables.
Broccoli can be eaten raw or cooked and has florets atop long crisp stalks. It will produce small yellow flowers that are also edible. It has a earthy and sometimes sweeter taste than broccolini.
Don't let looks deceive you - broccolini is not baby broccoli. It is a hybrid vegetable that was first created in 1993. Broccolini is a cross between broccoli and Chinese broccoli.
You can eat all parts of it - the small florets, long stalks, and small leaves (it has a few).
However, Broccolini has a more mild, bitter, earthy taste and is best when it is cooked by either steaming, roasting, grilling or sautéing.
Serving Suggestions for This Broccoli Recipe
This broccoli recipe is the perfect companion to almost any meal. Here are a few might enjoy:
- Oven Roasted Pork Loin (GAPS/Paleo/Keto/Whole30)
- Teriyaki Beef Kabobs Recipe
- Tomato Basil Grilled Fish (GAPS/Paleo/Keto)
- Honey Mustard Chicken (Real Food/GAPS/Paleo)
Looking for Other Broccoli Recipes?
When we are talking about a broccoli recipe, I know it can be hard to find one that pleases a whole family. Broccoli is just one of those veggies that people either really like, or they really don't!
Here are a couple of my favorite broccoli recipes:
Is Oven Roasted Broccoli Healthy?
Yes, broccoli is packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and bioactive compounds which can reduce inflammation and help protect against cancer. (source)
What Oven Temperature is Used for Oven Roasted Broccoli?
To roast most vegetables in the oven, you use an oven temperature between 400 - 425F.
Broccoli is roasted at 400F in the following recipe.
If you’ve tried this OVEN ROASTED BROCCOLI or any other recipe on Cultured Palate please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, YouTube and TWITTER.
Sesame Oven Roasted Broccoli
- 1 lb broccoli cut into bite size florets
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- pepper no salt as there is plenty of salt in the soy sauce unless you use low sodium
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, place the broccoli florets.
- In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, oil and spices.
- Pour the sauce over the broccoli, and mix well to distribute the sauce evenly.
- Place seasoned broccoli onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn, but you’ll want a nice darker, roasted color on the broccoli.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly, and garnish with some sesame seeds before serving
Are You a Broccoli Fan?
If So, What is Your Favorite Way to Eat It?