This Tomato Basil Grilled Fish recipe, is a perfect choice for grilling and entertaining anytime of the year. In fact, this is the best grilled fish I have had. Plus, it is super easy which definitely appeals to this mamma! You can enjoy not only the delicious flavor but all the nutritional benefits that adding fish into your diet offers. Grilled fish is also GAPS diet, paleo and keto friendly!
We like fish in general and I am purposing from here on out, to have it more frequently. Especially with all the protein, vitamins B, D and omega 3 fatty acids fish provides, we should be eating it at least once a week.
Brain food, that is what fish is and, I could sure use more of that! In the past when we do have fish, it is a "nice" meal.
"Nice" as in birthday or anniversary. Normally, I spread homemade butter on top with a little squeeze of lemon juice on it and into the oven it goes!
This grilled fish recipe just took a "nice" meal to a new level. My family loves Tomato Basil Grilled Fish and although I grilled 5 lbs of fish, there were no leftovers!
Health Benefits of Fish
According to the Washington State Dept. of Health, fish is a rich source of:
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Vitamins such as D and B2 (riboflavin)
- Calcium and phosphorus
- Minerals: iron, zinc, iodine, magnesium, and potassium
Grilled Fish Recipe In Foil
This recipe can be made and cooked right on the grill. Or, you can line your grill with foil and place the fish fillets on it and cook.
You can also make foil pouches by wrapping the marinated fish fillets in foil and placing them on the grill. These will take about 10 - 12 mins to cook so the fish flakes easily.
Grilled Fish in the Oven
This recipe can easily be baked in the oven with the outcome of delicious grilled fish in the oven!
Here are the steps:
- Place foil in the bottom of a baking dish.
- Place marinated fish fillets on the foil and bake for about 20 - 30 mins.
- Once done, the fish should flake easily.
- Continue with Tomato Basil topping.
What Fish Can I Use?
Any fish works well. I normally use Tilapia for grilling and line my grill with foil because tilapia fillet are thin. Tilapia is economical and has a mild taste which lends itself well for the Tomato Basil topping.
Other fish to use: Tuna steaks, salmon, bass...
Should I Use Dry or Fresh Herbs?
When possible, I use fresh herbs. But, in the winter, that is not usually possible so I use dry. Either work well and give the delicious flavor you expect.
Whether I use dry or fresh herbs, I use the same amount as given in the recipe.
Can This Recipe Be Cooked in the Microwave?
I have never tried this recipe in the microwave and from cooking other dishes, I think it might become mushy. If you have tried it, let me know!
Can I Use This Recipe for Grilling Whole Fish?
Yes, Tomato Basil Grilled Fish works great when using whole fish.
Sides for This Tomato Basil Grilled Fish Recipe:
- Garlicky Green beans or other green beans
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Crock Pot Baked Potatoes
- Grilled Summer Squash
- Grilled or roasted veggies - see How to Roast Vegetables for ideas
Tomato Basil Grilled Fish Recipe Step by Step
Tips for Making Tomato Basil Grilled Fish
- To Marinade - Allow at least 1 hour for the fish to marinate.
- To grill - Depending on the thickness of your fish, line the grill with foil for easy removal from grill.
Tomato Basil Grilled Fish
- 1 ½ lbs fish fillets wild caught - thawed if frozen is used
- ¼ c lemon juice
- 2 tsp rosemary
- ¼ c olive oil
- ½ tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 c. diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp basil
- 1 Tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- Mix all the marinade ingredients - lemon juice, rosemary, olive oil, salt, pepper - together and pour over fish.
- Gently turn the fillets to make sure all sides are coated well.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour.Before or during the grilling of the fish:
- Mix diced tomatoes, basil and raw apple cider vinegar together in a small saucepan and heat thoroughly.
- If fillets are thin, line the grill with foil.
- Preheat the grill and place fish on the grill.
- Grill until flaky, about 5 -10 minutes, turning the fillets once.To serve:
- Place fillet on plate and spoon topping over the fish.
What is your favorite fish to eat?