This chocolate covered bananas recipe uses coconut oil chocolate. Coconut oil is mixed with cocoa (and other ingredients) to make a delicious syrup that coats bananas or any fruit very well. A delicious healthy treat!
Chocolate is always welcomed at my house! Chocolate covered bananas are a real treat! Healthy chocolate covered bananas – even better!
I haven’t even mentioned yet that they are GAPS legal – just make sure the bananas are ripe and have spotted skins!!!
Imagine how excited I was to find a coconut oil chocolate recipe! If you missed it, you should stop right now and make Chocolate Coconut Oil Treats – Regular and Spicy. This was my first attempt at a chocolate recipe to feed our sweet tooth but still be healthy. Since it was met with such approval, I became more confident to venture out and try more!
The chocolate covered bananas recipe using coconut oil chocolate coats not only bananas but any fruit well – think strawberries, grapes, pineapple… And, now don’t say “gross” until you try it, even Chocolate Covered Bacon is delicious!
When I first made chocolate covered bananas, I froze them and it was delicious BUT out teeth hurt from the cold! So, now after dipping the bananas, I keep them refrigerated so the coconut oil chocolate stays solid.
Since our children were older when we began our REAL food journey, we have taste buds which have been influenced by processed foods. Not that we ate a diet high in processed foods and sugar especially, but refined sugar defined the “special-ness” of treat foods.
So, I am always trying to find suitable replacements that will be healthy but also nutritious and these chocolate covered bananas fit the bill!
I started taking coconut oil to increase my metabolism and help balance hormones. Coconut oil is a very healthy oil! Regular intake of coconut oil:
- improves the body’s immune system and helps fight off viruses and bacteria
- can help stabilize blood sugar
- helps stabilize hormone levels
- may boost thyroid levels to increase metabolism, energy and stamina
- improves digestion and helps absorb fat soluble vitamins
- decreases cholesterol levels. Coconut oil has a saturated fat called lauric acid which has been shown to increases the good HDL cholesterol in the blood to help improve cholesterol ratio levels.
So, now that I have convinced you how good for you coconut oil is, on to the recipe…
How To Make Chocolate Covered Bananas with Coconut Oil Chocolate
1. Mix the coconut oil, honey and vanilla together. I heated mine in the microwave for 1 minute since the house was cool and the coconut oil was solid.
2. Add in the remaining ingredients – sea salt, cinnamon and cocoa powder
3. Blend until light and fluffy – I used my immersion blender
4. Skewer each banana half with a wooden stick – I used shish kebob sticks broken in half and used both halves for one banana since I did not have popsicle sticks
5. Dip each banana half in the chocolate mixture rotating to cover.
6. Place each dipped banana on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet
7. Freeze for about 3 minutes to harden the chocolate
8. Continue to dip and freeze bananas to reach the desired thickness of chocolate – I dipped them 3 times.
9. Once the chocolate is the desired consistency, place in the refrigerator or freeze – remember, coconut oil liquefies at about 75F so it is important to keep them cool!
10. After dipping is complete, pour any extra chocolate into a parchment paper lined dish and refrigerate until firm – this makes delicious chocolate candy!
If you’ve tried these Chocolate Covered Bananas or any other recipe on Cultured Palate please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, YouTube and TWITTER.
A sweet treat. I find freezing bananas mellows out their flavor and all you taste is creaminess.
- Mix the coconut oil, honey and vanilla together. I heated mine in the microwave for 1 minute since the house was cool and the coconut oil was solid.
- Blend in the remaining ingredients - sea salt, cinnamon and cocoa powder
- Blend until light and fluffy - I used my immersion blender
- Skewer each banana half with a wooden stick - I used shish kebob sticks broken in half and used both halves for one banana since I did not have popsicle sticks
- Dip each banana half in the chocolate mixture rotating to cover.
- Place each dipped banana on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Freeze for about 3 minutes to harden the chocolate
- Continue to dip and freeze bananas to reach the desired thickness of chocolate - I dipped them 3 times.
- After the chocolate is the desired consistency, place in the refrigerator or freeze - remember, coconut oil liquefies at about 75F so it is important to keep them cool!
- After dipping is complete, pour any extra chocolate into a parchment paper lined dish and refrigerate until firm - this makes delicious chocolate candy!