Learn how to make bath salts using this DIY bath salts recipe, you can enjoy the luxury of a spa treatment at home or give it as a gift. DIY baths salts are easy peasy!
How to Make Bath Salts
Learning how to make bath salts is really very simple. In fact, it is so simple that I have skipped the photos showing the process. All you do is put the ingredients in a bowl, stir to mix well and put the bath salts into jars.
Tips for Making DIY Bath Salts
- Be creative and try different essential oils and blends.
- Want a colored bath salts? These Soap Colorants work well and don’t stain!
- These make wonderful gifts and can be put into a variety of jars.
- Be sure to add a cute printable gift tag for that little extra touch when using as a gift.
DIY Bath Salts Ingredients – Health Benefits
1. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is not actually a salt! It is magnesium sulfate which can be used as a laxative (as is used in the gallbladder cleanse or passing kidney stones naturally) and to help detoxify your body, as well as, have the health benefits of magnesium in your bath.
Magnesium is readily absorbed through the skin so using it in a bath is a great way to get its benefits. Some benefits include:
- Stress relief
- Helps reduce inflammation
- Helps improve the absorption of nutrients
2. Baking Soda
Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate and is the same stuff used in baking. Like Epsom salt, it also helps remove toxins. Some benefits include:
- Helps alkalize your body
- Softens skin
- Gives skin a silky soft feel
3. Essential Oils
Essential Oils are beneficial for your body in many ways and each essential oil has benefits of its own. For example:
- Lavender is great to use before bed to help you relax.
- Citrus oils help energize and reinvigorate your mind and body.
- Eucalyptus is great if you are not feeling well or feel a cold is coming on.
The sky is the limit with the combinations you can make!
4. Optional Ingredients to Add
- Spices, such as, ginger and cinnamon, make great additions.
- Oils can be added for extra moisturizing – coconut, jojoba, almond, argan. To the following recipe, add 1 Tbsp if desired.
- Sea salt contains about 21 minerals that are occur naturally in our bodies. However, because they are depleted during the day, they should be replenished. Examples include: Potassium, sodium, bromides. These along with the other minerals help detoxify and cleanse our bodies. To the following recipe, add 1/4 cup.
Bath Salts Recipe
Makes (2) 8 oz. jars
- 1 cup Epsom salt
- ½ cup baking soda
- 5 – 10 drops essential oil
- Optional ingredients – 1 Tbsp oil of choice (coconut, jojoba, almond, argan), 1 – 2 Tbsp dried spices, 1/4 c sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl, stirring well to incorporate the baking soda and essential oil.
- Divide between two 8 oz jars.
- Use immediately, or store in an airtight container.
- To Use: Add 1/4 – 1/2 c per bath
What essential oil do you add to your bath salts? Leave a comment!