Hearty but easy, this Instant Pot GAPS Diet White Chicken Chili recipe is super quick to make. Why? Because it is made in the Instant Pot! But, don't worry if you don't have an Instant pot, a crock pot option is also given. You can't get much better than a hearty GAPS diet white chicken chili that is delicious for any real food diet!
Nothing spells quick and easy like an Instant Pot. If you haven't been introduced to an Instant Pot, let me help you get started. This is a multifunctional appliance that does it all, or almost!
It cooks rice, yogurt, beans, sautés, pressure cooks and is even a crock pot. It is definitely a must have for any real food kitchen.
If you can't tell, I love mine. Seriously, I use it several times a week!
Don't have an Instant Pot? You can still make a delicious chili with my White Chicken Chili Crockpot Recipe!
What if I am Not on the GAPS Diet?
No problem - that means you can add other ingredients for a delicious and hearty bowl of white chicken chili.
Additions to try:
- Corn - Add 15 oz organic corn per recipe - it is delish!
- Garnish with tortilla chips or strips.
- Other beans can also be used.
Why are White Beans GAPS Legal?
There are a few legumes that are considered easy to digest while on the GAPS diet. These include white beans, navy beans, lima beans and lentils.
It is important to properly prepare beans when cooking by soaking first to reduce the lectins and phytates. Both are anti-nutrients which can prevent your body from absorbing the nutrients in the foods you eat. (source)
Is Soaking Beans Necessary when Using a Pressure Cooker?
No. But, soaking before cooking helps decrease the cooking time for the beans.
Cook unsoaked beans for 30 minutes. Cook soaked beans for about 12 minutes.
Using a pressure cook like an Instant Pot for as little as 7.5 minutes will almost completely deactivate the lectin the beans contain. (source)
Why Use Chicken Broth?
This Instant Pot GAPS Diet White Chicken Chili recipe uses broth as its base for two reason. First, the flavor is delicious.
Secondly, broth when made from bones is especially easy to digest and soothing to the gut. This is a big part of the GAPS diet which focuses on gut health.
Be sure to see 15 Health Benefits of Bone Broth for a complete rundown on its benefits.
To make your own broth, check out how to Make Chicken Broth which has a video to show you how easy it is to make!
Can I Use Beef Broth?
Yes, beef broth can also be used as a base for this chicken chili recipe and is excellent. How to Make Beef Broth shows you how easy it is to make your own.
What if I Don't Like Spicy Chili?
No problem because I don't either! I use the "mild" chopped chilis and even though I am wimpy when it comes to spicy foods, this chicken chili is just right.
What if I Like Spicy Chili?
You and my husband both! He always adds jalepeno peppers to his bowl of white chicken chili!
Honestly, if I made it hot enough for him, none of the rest of us could eat it ;)
That is why this recipe is so great - you can make it just as spicy (or not) as your taste buds can handle.
Suggested Garnishes to Try:
- Jalapeno slices
- Sour cream
Instant Pot GAPS Diet White Chicken Chili Recipe Step by Step
- Brown chicken in a medium skillet and season with salt and pepper. Photo 1
- While the chicken is browning, chop the onion and add all ingredients (except chicken broth) to the Instant Pot. Photo 2
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces and add to Instant Pot. Photos 3
- Add chicken broth. Photo 4
- Cook for 30-35 minutes, quick release, garnish and serve.
Tips for Making White Chicken Chili
- Cream may also added for extra richness before cooking or add after cooking is complete - start with 1 cup
- Dried beans may be substituted for the canned - soak and cook bean first and then assemble chili.
- Garnish bowls if desired with any or all of the following: avocado, jalapeno, sour cream, and cheese
Instant Pot GAPS Diet White Chicken Chili - Crock Pot Instructions
Brown chicken in a skillet and cut into bite sized pieces. Place all ingredients in crock pot - follow instructions given below but cook for about 5 hrs on low or 3 hours on high - until the veggies are tender.
If you’ve tried this INSTANT POT GAPS DIET WHITE CHICKEN CHILI RECIPE or any other recipe on Cultured Palate please take a minute to rate it and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, YouTube and TWITTER.
Instant Pot GAPS Diet White Chicken Chili
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 16 oz white beans (navy beans)
- 1 7 oz can chopped green chilies (mild)
- 1 16 oz can diced tomatoes fresh may be used
- 2 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1.5 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil for browning chicken
Instant Pot Instructions
- Brown chicken in a medium skillet and seasoning with salt and pepper.
- While the chicken is browning, chop the onion and add all ingredients to the Instant Pot (except broth).
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and add to Instant Pot along with chicken broth.
- Set lid in place, turn to the chilli/bean setting for 30 minutes.
- Once done, quick release the pressure and serve!
- Garnish with avocados, jalapeno, sour cream, cheese.
Crock Pot Instructions
- Brown chicken in a medium skillet seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove, dice and place in crock pot with remaining ingredients.
- Cook for about 5 hrs on low or 3 hours on high - until the veggies are tender.
- Dried beans may be substituted for the canned - soak and cook first.
- Fresh tomatoes may be used.
- 15 oz organic corn
- garnish with tortilla strips
Looking for other GAPS Diet Instant Pot Recipes? Be sure to check out the following Instant pot recipes:
- Honey Sweetened Strawberry Jam
- Minestrone Soup
- Spaghetti Squash
- Pumpkin Butter
- Cranberry Sauce - Honey Sweetened